Moogsoft is an AIOps and observability platform. Its monitors can keep track of various servers and applications simultaneously and in real-time. Moogsoft's agents fetch the alerts and logs and bring them to a single cloud-based Moogsoft platform for intelligent monitoring. Moogsoft platform is one of the best AIOps platforms known to provide efficient noise reduction and correlation.
In this Moogsoft in-depth review, we’ll go into full details about the Moogsoft platform, how it works, its features, its user interface, pros and cons, and pricing. In the last two sections, we’ll provide the top eight Moogsoft alternatives and a final verdict.
What is Moogsoft?
Moogsoft is an AIOps and observability platform designed for IT Operations (ITOps), Developer Operations (DevOps), and Site Reliability Engineer (SRE).
Moogsoft is an observability platform. Observability tools are designed to monitor systems and applications using data logs, metrics, and traces. They aggregate such data and processes it into events to provide actionable insights into systems and applications’ security and performance. Observability platforms are not only monitoring tools; they go far by helping understand the system’s behavior and even predicting failures.
Moogsoft is also an AIOps platform. An AIOps (Artificial Intelligence for Operations) platform, on the other hand, uses AI, ML, and NLP (Natural Language Processing) engines to automate certain IT operations, such as event correlation and anomaly detection.
- Deployment Moogsoft is based on cloud-native architecture. Moogsoft works on Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) deployment. Deploy it in your network using a collector engine.
- Mobile Moogsoft does not offer a mobile app. Still, Moogsoft AIOps offers a mobile version supported by mobile browsers such as Chrome or Safari.
- Customer support and knowledgebase Moogsoft provides diverse ways to connect with the customer, from support tickets (based on severity), discussion board, phone, email, chat, Moogsoft documentation, and an up-to-date blog.
- Pricing model Three plans available, Free, Team ($833/month), and Enterprise (more on pricing below).
- Free Trial? Yes, sign up here for a 14-days trial of Moogsoft Express.
- Gartner’s rating 4.0 (four stars out of five).
How does Moogsoft works?
Moogsoft provides a common platform for all your monitoring data sources and tools. It integrates with many tools using an agent (collector) or Moogsoft’s API. The agents collect metric data and send it to Moogsoft’s observability cloud for further analysis. The system can detect anomalies (based on metrics) and group all alerts into incidents.
Moogsoft streamlines incident resolution using the following four steps:
- Ingest data Moogsoft ingests and normalizes all distributed metrics, event logs, alerts, and notifications from your monitoring infrastructure and makes it visible in a single place. It uses agents to collect data (from integrations) and send it to Moogsoft cloud.
- Reduce noise Once the Moogsoft platform receives all data, it proceeds to clean it. This step deals with the consolidation of repeated events in order to reduce the number of alerts. It also updates information such as severity. Moogsoft is capable of lowering the alert noise by up to 99%.
- Correlate and detect alerts Moogsoft uses a correlation engine that analyzes alerts to discover relationships, patterns, and significance. It groups such alerts and creates incidents based on their relationships. Correlation help detect incidents early and identify the root cause.
- Improve incident response workflows Let users collaborate in real-time and automate incident response workflows, to solve incidents as quickly as possible. Moogsoft also provides knowledge recycling; with this feature, the recurring incidents are categorized to reduce the response mean-time of similar situations.
Full Feature’s Review
Moogsoft is fully-featured observability and AIOps platform. Below is a brief description of Moogsoft’s most significant features.
- Integrations Moogsoft provides many integrations with other tools, including Datadog, AppDynamics, New Relic, AWS CloudWatch, Azure Application Insights, PagerDuty, Slack, and more. In addition, Moogsoft also allows custom Webhook integrations.
- Agent technology Moogsoft collects monitoring data from hardware, software, virtual systems, cloud (hybrid and multi-clouds), and more, using agent-based technology. The agents run quietly and are easy to install.
- AI and ML Moogsoft is an AIOps platform with an agile and proactive incident resolution workflow. Moogsoft’s AI and ML platform ingests all data and provides correlation, noise reduction, visualization, causality analysis, situation room, and workflow engine. The output allows an enhanced user workflow and automation.
- Advanced noise reduction and correlation Moogsoft distinguishes unimportant from important events. It checks and reduces all noise into a single consolidated list of incidents. The platform also provides innovative correlation technology. It detects anomalies and connects with relevant alerts automatically. This process creates incidents that give you a richer context for root-cause analysis.
- Automate the incident management workflow Moogsoft allows you to automate workflows that filter, enrich, and normalize ingested data. Once data is cleaned, you can later use automated workflows to route, remediate, or close incidents from third-party systems.
- Metric-based anomaly detection Moogsoft provides a flexible and configurable metric anomaly detection mechanism based on dynamic thresholds. Each metric dynamically updates the performance’s baseline in response to the newest data. Anomaly detection helps users detect incidents earlier and easier.
- An all-in-one dashboard Moogsoft provides a unified dashboard that shows all inbound and outbound activity.
User Interface Review
Moogsoft’s User Interface is known to be clean and user-friendly.
The Moogsoft Observability Cloud platform is accessed via the web user interface. You can access the platform using your Moogsoft credentials, or you can also sign in with your Google or Microsoft accounts.
To see the incidents panel, go to Monitor > Incidents.
The incidents panel shows you all the incidents, along with severity level, creation time, status, service, description, and full alerts. To see more details or edit an incident, click on it.
The “incident details” panel will show you more details of the incident. In addition, you can also assign the incident to a listed user, including yourself, and change the incident’s status from open, in-progress, resolved, or closed.
By referring to the full description, you can figure out the nature of the problem.
To see the alerts associated with this specific incident, you can use the alerts tab. The alerts tab lets you know the timeline of events along with the severity and an alert’s full description.
To monitor the performance of your applications or systems, you can use the Moogsoft metrics. These metrics are a series of data points with their timestamp. Each specific metric measures a particular feature of the performance.
To see metrics for a specific incident, click on the incident and then click on the “Metrics” drill-down button. Here you’ll see the Moogsoft ingested metrics “in the metrics tab” and detect any anomaly. Here, you can also specify an incident time range or monitor in real-time to verify if metrics are back to normal.
Moogsoft Pros and Cons
- Fantastic AI-based alert integrations
- Integrates with many other monitoring and collaboration tools
- One of the best in noise reduction and alert correlation
- A single-pane-of-glass for all incident management needs
- The alert’s severity level is classified by colors
- Suited for multi-cloud and hybrid environments
- Automation for incident correlation needs improvement
- Setting AI rules can be complex
- Moogsoft could enrich alerts with more detail and context
- Alerts are auto-cleared after some time
- Working with a bulk number of servers can be challenging
Moogsoft offers three different plans. Free ($0), which allows up to three users, up to 500k metrics, and one correlation configuration. Sign up to get the Moogsoft free version.
The Team plan starting at $833/month (billed annually), allows an unlimited number of users, ten correlation configurations, 1.5M metrics + 15k events. Moogsoft offers a free limited trial of Team. Sign up here to try Moogsoft Express for free for 14 days.
The Moogsoft Enterprise plan. A plan built for scale offers unlimited correlation configuration and 200k events + 20M metrics. For more information on the Enterprise plan, contact a Moogsoft sales representative.
Below are good alternatives to Moogsoft. They provide one or a mix of the following capabilities: Observability, business analytics, log management, Application Performance Monitoring (APM), or AIOps.
- Datadog is a popular APM and observability platform built for monitoring cloud-based applications. It analyzes the data using AI, ML, or other methods, from servers, databases, tools, and other services. With Datadog, you can create AIOps workflows and integrate them with a large number of services and apps. Try a 14-days free trial of Datadog.
- BigPanda is an AIOps-enabled IT operations event correlation and automation platform. Big Panda is similar to Moogsoft, as it also aggregates, correlates, and normalizes all monitoring data from other tools and integrates it into a single console. The Big Panda platform uses AI and ML to turn data into actionable insights or automation.
- Splunk is a popular data analytics platform used for monitoring, searching, and visualizing machine-generated data. Splunk Enterprise (their paid version) ingests data from websites, servers, applications, sensors, devices, IoTs, or any machine generating data, and performs analytics. It integrates with tools like observability, event management, APM, AIOps, and more. Splunk offers a free trial for 14 days.
- Dynatrace is a leading intelligence and automated observability platform. It integrates components like AIOps, intelligent monitoring, automation, business analytics, and observability into a single platform. The Dynatrace platform is commonly used for end-to-end instrumentation. Sign up to Dynatrce to get a 15-days free trial.
- xMatters is a service reliability and automated incident management platform. It helps DevOps, SREs, and IT operations teams ensure their systems and applications are operational. xMatters includes features such as automated incident management, alerts intelligence, workflow automation, analytics, and more. Sign up to xMatters for a free trial.
- Cisco’s AppDynamics is a leading APM and full-stack observability platform. It provides real-time insights, at scale, to improve the performance of your application. AppDyamics can monitor the entire stack, including business, users, apps, infrastructure, network, and security. AppDynamics offers a 15-day trial.
- ELK Stack is the acronym that describes a stack of three popular projects: Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana. Elasticsearch is the analytics and search engine, Logstash is the server-side data processing pipeline, and Kibana is the data visualization provider. Register to get a free Elastic Cloud Trial.
- PagerDuty is an incident management platform built for improving IT operations. It integrates machine-generated data with human intelligence to improve general visibility. The platform provides features like reliable incident alerting, automated incident response, on-call management, event management, and more. Sign up for a 14-days free trial.
Moogsoft provides intelligent monitoring solutions for ITOps, DevOps, and SREs. It is especially one of the preferred AI-based solutions when it comes to automating IT Operations. The software offers many integration possibilities, including monitoring tools, collaboration, ticketing, reporting, and workflow engines.
Moogsoft also provides AIOps capabilities, which help reduce incidences. But still, the AIOps market is quite competitive; and there are other tools like Dynatrace, Splunk, or DataDog, which are more mature and feature-rich platforms when it comes to such capabilities.