In the first part of this Forcepoint ONE review, we will go through the details of what exactly Forcepoint ONE is and how it works. Following up, we will also go through a few of its awards, ratings, and pros and cons. In the second part of this Forcepoint ONE review, we will go over its alternatives. The best six Forcepoint ONE alternatives will somehow do a similar job but with different features and capabilities.
What is Forcepoint ONE?
Forcepoint ONE is an all-in-one cloud-native security platform. It offers unique Secure Service Edge (SSE) capabilities that scale (up or down) in real-time whenever needed. This SSE-based solution allows people to securely work anywhere and access business resources such as apps and data via the public Internet. It pushes data and app protection down to the device level.
ForcePoint ONE cloud-native SSE solution is composed of the following security technologies. Forcepoint ONE aims to integrate all these technologies into a single unified cloud-based SSE platform.
- Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB)
- Secure Web Gateway (SWG)
- Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA)
- Remote Browser Isolation (RBI)
- Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
- Content Disarm & Reconstruction (CDR)
Forcepoint ONE allows admins to use policies (i.e., CASB, SWG, and ZTNA) to control access and manage them from one console. Admins can also manage all these policies from one console and apply them to one endpoint agent. If an admin doesn't want to rely on agents, they can use agentless methods. This hybrid protection mode allows excellent flexibility to protect any device, anywhere, and at any time.
- Who uses Forcerpoint ONE? SOC teams, developers, or sys and network admins.
- How is Forcepoint ONE deployed? Through its SaaS solution.
- How to start with Forcepoint ONE? Contact the Forcepoint team or start with a free customized demo.
How does Forcepoint ONE work?
Forcepoint acquired Bitglass— an industry-leading cloud-native SASE platform. Bitglass developed the aforementioned cloud-native SSE solution, and Forcepoint integrated its advanced threat protection and data security capabilities into the unified (Forcepoint ONE) platform.
Currently, Forcepoint ONE is one of the few platforms offering a unified foundation on an SSE architecture and the Zero Trust security framework. The Zero Trust security requires all users (internal or external) to be authenticated, authorized, and continuously verified while being granted (or keeping) access to a network. Other tools like threat protection, data security, SWG, CASB, and ZTNA will help maintain an optimal security posture for different environments like the web or cloud.
Forcepoint ONE allows you to apply policies (such as SWG, CASB, and ZTNA) to branch offices, BYOD, or SD-WAN deployments. It provides a single-pane-of-glass so that you can apply all these policies to different applications (SaaS, web apps, or ZTNA apps) in a centralized and consistent fashion.
Relevant Forcepoint ONE awards, ratings, pros, and cons
Regarding ratings from general sites, Forcepoint gets around 3.7 to 4.7 stars out of five stars. On the other hand, Forcepoint ONE has been recognized as a leader by prominent analysts and research sites.
- Bitglass (now Forcepoint) was awarded three times as a leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant (MQ) for its CASB solution. With the acquisition of Bitglass, Forcepoint now stands on the shoulders of giants. Forcepoint is now one of the best CASB providers with its SSE solution.
- Bitglass and Forcepoint were both awarded in Gartner’s first-ever MQ for SSE. Bitglass was named a Visionary in Gartner’s first ever MQ for SSE, while Forcerpoint was named a niche player on the same MQ.
- Forcepoint was awarded nine times as a leader in Gartner’s MQ for its DLP solution. Forcepoint’s DLP has been a consecutive leader in DLP solutions for its advanced capabilities, including DripDLP, fingerprinting/OCR, data discovery, behavioral analytics, automation, and more.
- Forcepoint Cloud Network Firewall received an AAA rating from CyberRatings.org. Forcepoint’s NGFW passed rigorous tests performed by cyberratings.org, which made them give its highest AAA rating to the product.
Forcepoint ONE pros and cons
The following are a few pros and cons of Forcepoint ONE. These can help you decide if the product is the right choice for your organization.
- Outstanding DLP capabilities
- Monitoring solutions
- Policy management
- Forcepoint ONE also provides excellent visibility and control to secure cloud apps via its CASB.
- To get the most out of the Forcepoint ONE, users need lots of training. This training is especially true for deploying the solution across multiple servers.
- Forcepoint could improve its technical documentation and knowledge base.
Our list of the Best Forcepoint ONE Alternatives
What is genuinely relevant about Forcerpoint ONE is that it unifies its security services and zero trust under one roof. So, we need to consider such unifying qualities when looking for an alternative to Forcepoint ONE.
But still, other tools offer more than what Forcepoint ONE provides. For instance, since SSE is a subset of SASE, some companies also help improve the networking capabilities with SDN (via SASE), while others focus more on protecting the endpoint. Such offerings come as virtual, hardware, and cloud-based deployments.
- CrowdStrike Falcon A cloud-native and cloud-delivered endpoint security platform. Falcon also provides cloud security and identity protection on a single platform. Get a free trial.
- Zscaler Cloud Protection A cloud workload and data security platform. It belongs to an SSE solution and integrates with zero trust.
- Barracuda CloudGen Firewall A next-gen cloud firewall designed with a multi-layered approach to protect users, data, and workloads.
- SkyHigh Security (former McAfee Cloud) A robust SSE framework that offers network, endpoint, data, app security, and zero trust under one roof.
- Broadcom’s Symantec A SASE and Zero Trust Security solution is offered under one platform and one console.
- Checkpoint Harmony A solution that integrates six cloud-based products designed to protect remote users. It delivers SASE and Zero Trust.
1. CrowdStrike Falcon
CrowdStrike Falcon is a cloud-native and cloud-delivered endpoint security platform that protects all sorts of devices, including personal computers, servers, and mobile devices. It stops threats and avoids risks at the endpoint level before they cause harm to the entire network.
Why is CrowdStrike Falcon a good alternative to Forcepoint ONE?
CrowdStrike Falcon is an excellent alternative to Forcepoint ONE because it also unifies endpoint security, cloud security, and identity protection. In addition, CrowdStrike is also based on a single platform with a single agent. Although CrowdStrike was originally designed to protect endpoints, it can now also protect cloud workloads and even provide their cloud-native CrowdStrike Zero Trust as a foundational access control solution. In addition, they also offer access to a network of threat intelligence.
- Automate detection and response
- Scan policies to find and stop vulnerabilities
- A hybrid model with an agent or without
- Secure cloud-native stack
- Advanced endpoint protection
How to start with CrowdStrike Falcon?
Falcon Complete is the plan that provides a unified managed endpoint, workload, and identity protection. Although there is no free trial available for Falcon Complete, you can get your hands on CrowdStrike Falcon through their Falcon Prevent Antivirus with their 15-day free trial. You can also request an on-demand free demo to get to know CrowdStrike Falcon.
2. Zscaler Cloud Protection
Zscaler is a cloud security company leader in Zero-Trust technology. Their products include the complete SSE solution with integrated services such as Internet access, private access, B2B, cloud protection, digital experience, and deception technology. Zscaler’s platform integrates SSE and is based on the cloud-native Zero Trust Exchange (ZTE) platform. Zscaler was labeled 2022’s Gartner MQ Leader for SSE and a leader in the 2020’s SWG Gartner’s MQ for Best SWG.
Why is Zscaler Cloud Protection an alternative to Forcepoint ONE?
Zscaler Cloud Protection (ZCP) is a cloud workload and data security platform. It is a part of the SSE solution and is also based on the ZTE architecture. Zscaler ZCP secures cloud workloads and data within hybrid and multi-cloud environments. It is an excellent alternative to Forcepoint ONE because it provides a simplified and automated connection to a Zero Trust platform and provides advanced cloud security.
- Agentless and agent deployment
- Unified platform
- Complete visibility into the hybrid cloud
- Advanced actionable intelligence
How to start with Zscaler Cloud Protection?
Zscaler is deployed via integrated cloud-based Security as a Service (SECaaS). The services are based on the subscription model and packaged in bundles paid annually (/user). Unfortunately, there are no free plans or free trials, but you can request a product demo to get to know the product better.
3. Barracuda CloudGen Firewall
Barracuda’s app protection and security products range from Zero Trust Access (ZTA), SASE, Cloud/Gen Firewall, Secure SD-WAN, and Web Security & Filtering. Their Barracuda CloudGen Firewall provides a multi-layered approach to protect users, data, and workloads regardless of where they are deployed (on-prem, on-cloud, or hybrid). Their techniques include Advanced Threat Protection, behavioral analytics, intelligence network, and more.
Why is Barracuda CloudGen Firewall a good Forcepoint ONE alternative?
Barracuda CloudGen Firewall is a cloud-native firewall built to protect the cloud and on-premise networks. It provides a cloud-hosted ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) to detect and stop advanced threats and a global threat intelligence network for rapid response on zero-day.
- Built-in SD-WAN
- Remote access control
- Policy management and automation
How to start with Barracuda CloudGen Firewall?
Cloud-native Barracuda CloudGen Firewall brings security to physical locations and the cloud. The Barracuda CloudGen Firewall can be deployed as an appliance, VM, or on the public cloud. Subscribe to Barracuda CloudGen Firewalls and get a free trial.
4. SkyHigh Security (former McAfee Cloud)
Skyhigh Security (formerly McAfee cloud) offers a robust SSE framework that delivers network, endpoint, data, application security, and zero trust identity from one place. The solution unifies the cloud-based CASB, DLP, RBI, and SWG SSE security components under one roof. SkyHigh Security (under McAfee) was named in 2022 Gartner's MQ as a leader for SSE. It has also been named customer's choice in 2022 Gartner Peer Insights.
Why is SkyHigh Security a good Forcepoint ONE alternative?
SkyHigh Security is a good alternative to Forcepoint ONE because it also provides a fully integrated cloud security (SSE) platform with essential components, including RBI, CASB, DLP, SWG, and ZTNA. In addition to those components, SkyHigh Security also provides a Cloud-native Application Protection Platform (CNAPP).
- Advanced Threat Protection (ATP)
- Multi-Vector Data Protection
- Hyperscale Service Edge
- Integrated SSE platform
How to start with SkyHigh Security?
SkyHigh Security does not offer a free trial; however, you can request a free demo of the solution to see how it works. If you are willing to buy, you can request pricing by contacting a SkyHigh sales representative.
5. Broadcom’s Symantec
Broadcom is a multinational enterprise that offers a range of software products. They have made the right acquisitions of companies such as Symantec and VMware/Carbon Black (pending but confirmed by Sept 2022). These acquisitions make Broadcom a leader provider in endpoint security, container technology, and zero trust for endpoints. Broadcom intends to integrate all these solutions under one roof.
Why is Broadcom (Symantec) a good Forcepoint ONE alternative?
Broadcom’s products are great alternatives to Forcepoint ONE simply because they offer Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) and Zero Trust Security under one console and platform. Symantec’s SASE is a data-centric approach that simplifies network and security services; it includes the SWG, DLP, CASB, ZTNA, SSL inspection, and web isolation. In addition, Symantec’s Zero Trust serves as the foundation to secure remote workforce and cloud migration.
- All SASE, SSE, and Zero trust under one roof
- Symantec’s SASE and Zero Trust
- Future Vmware container security
- Future Carbon Black endpoint protection
How to start with Broadcom’s Symantec?
Broadcom’s Symantec does not offer a free trial. To see the product in action, you’ll have to contact a Broadcom representative and request a demo.
6. Check Point Harmony
Check Point is a global leader in cyber security solutions and products. Their security solutions protect anything from the cloud to networks, users, and their access. To secure remote or local users and access, Check Point offers a robust SASE framework along with endpoint and mobile security. Check Point also provides zero-trust security and SD-WAN security.
Why is Checkpoint a good Forcepoint ONE alternative?
Like Forcepoint ONE, Check Point also offers SSE tools and zero trust. Check Point Harmony integrates six cloud-based security products to protect the remote workforce. These products include Harmony Endpoint, Harmony Connect (SASE), Harmony Browse, Harmony Email & Collaboration, and Harmony Mobile— all under a single roof. Check Point’s SASE solution is Harmony Connect which converges security and network functions on a single solution. Harmony Connect delivers a simple SSE with SWG, CASB, ZTNA, and FWaaS to protect users, their data, and branch offices with zero trust access control, data prevention, and advanced threat prevention.
Bear in mind that the following solutions are not under the same roof.
- Absolute Zero Trust Security with Check Point Infinity
- Branch and SD-WAN Security with Check Point Harmony
- Comprehensive cloud security with CloudGuard
- Unified Security Management with Infinity-Vision
How to start with CheckPoint?
Check Point does not offer free trials, but you can request a free demo of Check Point Harmony to see the product in action.