Endpoints can be found across the entire network, from the LAN to the WAN. Some are connected remotely, while others are frequently on the move.
Hackers find these endpoints as high-value targets as they are the first line of defense and are usually unpatched and vulnerable.
According to an investigation done by Verzion, 30% of all security breaches involve some malware running on endpoints.
In this article, we'll highlight the 15 best endpoint protection software and services; we'll give a brief description, features, price, and download links.
Here is our list of the top Endpoint Protection software:
- ManageEngine Desktop Central -FREE TRIAL A Unified endpoint management system that includes vulnerability scanning and patch management. This system manages endpoints running Windows, macOS, and Linux plus mobile devices. Installs on Windows Server and Linux.
- CrowdStrike Falcon – FREE TRIAL A suite of cybersecurity tools that can coordinate endpoint protection software that is installed on each device. the central console is a cloud-based system.
- Syxsense Secure – FREE TRIAL A package of cloud-based security services that manage the protection of endpoints within and outside a network.
- N-able RMM – FREE TRIAL A system for managing remote sites that includes endpoint detection and response. This is a cloud-based service.
- Sophos Endpoint Protection This system installs on Windows and Windows Server and can also protect devices that run Linux and macOS over a network.
- Bitdefender GravityZone Elite A coordinated protection system for all endpoints on a network that is a virtual appliance that runs on Linux Ubuntu.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection This system covers desktops, laptops, mobile devices, and servers. The administrator’s console is a cloud-based system.
- Trend Micro Apex One A site-wide service that coordinates endpoint protection for devices connected to the network. The console is a cloud-based system.
- Webroot Business Endpoint Protection A cloud-based service that covers all of the endpoints on a network through an onsite agent.
- CylancePROTECT An AI-driven endpoint detection system that is available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
- ESET Endpoint Protection Standard A hybrid solution that combines cloud services with on-premises modules to protect endpoints and servers.
Why is Endpoint Protection so Important?
An endpoint is a node or device connected to the corporate network, which is often exposed to other networks, such as the Internet.
This node can be located on-premise or remotely, and it is usually communicating back and forth with the corporate network.
Some common examples of these types of endpoints include:
- Cloud-based systems,
- Virtual machines,
- and many other devices, etc!
All of these different types of endpoints, with one interface connecting to the corporate network and another interface to the Internet, pose a real threat to security.
Endpoints open all sorts of new entries into the network.
Manually protecting these endpoints and their entry point to the corporate network is almost impossible and extremely a laborious!
But there are solutions that can assist you in monitoring these endpoints seamlessly.
Endpoint Protection Software uses specific techniques and technologies to provide threat detection and response to all of these systems.
What to Look for in a Solution
An Endpoint Protection solution uses the server/client communication model.
The “server” consists of a centrally managed software usually deployed in the cloud or on-premises (if your like us).
And this server communicates with every endpoint connected to the central network through an agent software.
The endpoint protection software provides security and management across all devices that have access to the private network.
It protects against external and internal threats by enforcing policies or by pushing security mechanisms across multiple and different devices.
- Automated detection and Response
- Threat Intelligence
- Advanced Malware Detection
- Device and App Control
- Limit Protocols or Close Ports
- Web Protection
- Automatic Scans
- Advanced Reporting and Alerting
- Full Visibility of Activities and Events
The endpoint protection software also keeps endpoints with updated software, such as Patching, Anti-virus, Firewall, VPN, and HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention Systems).
And in some cases, the server can also work as a proxy or gateway for all authentication login attempts.
It is essential to notice that most modern endpoint protection software does not use the traditional signature-based protection mechanism.
These tools provide alternative detection techniques empowered with Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), and behavior analysis to detect a wide arrange of known and unknown threats.
Here's the Best Endpoint Protection Software & Services:
1. ManageEngine Desktop Central – Free Trial
Zoho's latest offering of the Desktop Central software gives you a complete overview of your network and helps you keep everything patched including 3rd party software and operating systems.
This tools helps you not only automate patch management for Windows systems, but for Linux and Apple Mac systems as well!
Desktop Central helps your develop a more robust Endpoint security protocol by helping you regularly assess vulnerabilities within your perimeter, monitor browsers and control devices and software applications on your network!
ManageEngine Desktop Central is a web-based unified endpoint management software for desktops, laptops, servers, and mobiles.
The solution provides tools such as automated patch management, software deployment, remote control, IT asset management, and more.
Among its many features, ManageEngine Desktop Central provides fantastic endpoint protection.
First, it secures the endpoints with the latest software by automating patch deployments.
And it can also let you enforce policies for mobiles, such as imposing device passcodes, remote locking, restricting the camera, geo-location tracking, and more.
The software also includes predefined security configurations like USB settings, firewall settings, security policies, and more.
- Automatic security patching
- Secure log-in.
- Mobile security management.
- Security certificate management.
Give this tool a look, you'd be surprised at the versatility it has and we're happy to recommend it to our readers.
Syxsense Secure is a Cloud-based service that offers security for endpoints that is all coordinated from a central consoler. The endpoint protection covers devices that have Windows, macOS, or Linux as the operating system.
This package of security systems includes vulnerability scanning, patch management, malware identification and isolation, and connection monitoring.
The system coordinates agent software that is installed on each device. Reporting is sent to the central console, which is resident in the cloud and so can be accessed from anywhere. The service enables system administrators to enroll endpoints located anywhere in the world. They don’t all have to be connected to the same network in order to be grouped together in the security system.
The service benefits from a centralized pool of threat intelligence that is shared by all Syxsense clients. This helps the service to combat zero-day threats by implementing detection on the endpoints of all clients as soon as it is discovered on the system of one subscriber.
The Syxsense Secure service includes a service called Cortex, which enables system administrators to link together events and mitigation actions. Some threats can be countered automatically, while others trigger an alert to provoke manual investigation.
- Device-resident agents for offline protection
- Coordinated security services that group endpoints
- Can include endpoints anywhere in the world
- Cloud-resident console accessible from anywhere
- Protects devices running Windows, macOS, and Linux
Price: Syxsense Secure is a subscription service. Contact the sales team to get a quote.
Download: Access a 14-day free trial of Syxsense Secure.
N-able RMM (Remote Monitoring and Management) is a comprehensive set of tools integrated into a single web-based dashboard that helps enterprises to secure, maintain, and optimize IT resources.
Among these tools, there are excellent endpoint protection services such as Endpoint Detection & Response (EDR), Remote Monitoring, Patch Management, and more.
The N-able EDR is a brand new tool, born from a partnership with SentinelOne, an autonomous endpoint protection company.
The EDR is an effective endpoint protection tool that can help prevent cyberattacks, detect threats, and respond automatically.
It performs continuous file and data points analysis using behavioral AI/ML engines without the need for signatures.
The automatic processes will determine how to respond to threats and adjust over time.
- Offline protection with AI.
- Automatic policy-based endpoint protection.
- Eight AI engines for analyzing behavior.
- Attack forensics and threat summaries.
- Insightful data reports and powerful alerting.
Price: N-able RMM is an enterprise Managed Service Provider (MSP) solution, offered by N-able MSP. To find more information about prices and licensing, request a quote.
Download: Get a free RMM trial for 30 days.
5. Sophos Endpoint Protection
Sophos Endpoint Protection is a set of endpoint security tools that combine anti-malware, web and app control, URL blocking, firewall, HIPS, ransomware protection, and analysis and forensics.
The software provides a simplified and central management web-console that helps keep track of all endpoints.
The Intercept X Endpoint, a tool from the Sophos Endpoint Protection, is one of the most popular for malware detection and removal.
It uses machine learning technology to identify threats by analyzing its behavior and not by its signature.
There are two deployment methods, the Sophos Central is the unified console that runs on the cloud and the Sophos Enterprise Console, which must be installed on-premises.
The software works with the agent that communicates with the server, but it can also be deployed as a standalone for offline computers.
- Automatic threat discovery and removal
- Effective quarantine process
- Block web and application exploits
- Block risky URLs and apps
- Behavior analytics
- Track suspicious traffic
Download: Sign up for a Sophos Central free 30-days trial, including Intercept X Advanced and more.
6. Bitdefender GravityZone Elite
Bitdefender GravityZone Elite is an advanced endpoint security solution that prevents, detects, remediates, and displays threats that could harm your network.
It is an excellent endpoint solution that can detect attacks right from the pre-execution phase.
It doesn’t rely on conventional signatures to detect attacks; instead, it uses advanced Machine Learning (ML) and behavioral analysis to find sophisticated and unknown threats.
Bitdefender GravityZone Elite provides excellent control and protection for endpoints.
It can manage systems patching, encrypt disks, protect from web threats, push firewall policies, and control specific apps and devices.
- Predict and detect attacks with ML
- Hyper-detection during the attack pre-execution
- Sandbox analyzer for pre-execution detection
- Behavior anomaly detection with Process Inspector
Price: The price varies according to the number of monitored devices; for one device, the price starts at $78; for ten, the price is $260.
Download: Download a fully-functional Bitdefender GravityZone Elite free trial for a limited time.
7. Symantec Endpoint Protection
Symantec Endpoint Protection is an advanced security solution designed to protect endpoints such as laptops, mobiles, and servers within a network.
It keeps all clients protected from sophisticated attacks, malware, trojans, viruses, and even adware.
The software can run on-premises, on hybrid environments, or through its cloud-based service.
Symantec Endpoint Protection uses a holistic security approach to safeguard your IT environment for the entire attack chain, from pre-attack, attack, breach, and the post-breach phases.
It uses AI to help make optimal decisions and protect your endpoint at the device, application, or network level.
- Centralized cloud-based management system
- Application and device control
- Malware and exploit protection
- Network firewall and Intrusion prevention systems
- Behavioral forensics and attack analytics
Price: Request a quote.
Download: Sign up for a Symantec account and get access to Symantec Endpoint Security free trial.
8. Trend Micro Apex One
Trend Micro Apex One is an advanced automated security solution for endpoints. It performs automatic detection and response for a wide variety of threats.
The software runs on-premises or through its SaaS-based solution. And the clients only need a single agent.
Apex One provides full protection against sophisticated and new malicious scripts, malware, ransomware, crypto-mining, and more.
The software can detect and respond to almost any threat with the help of Trend Micro Endpoint Sensor and the Managed Detection and Response (MDR), which are available as add-ons.
- Centralized visibility and control.
- Vulnerability protection.
- Application and device control.
- Open API set.
Price: Get a Quote
Download: Sign up for a SaaS-based free Trend Micro Apex One 30-days trial.
9. Webroot Business Endpoint Protection
Webroot Business Endpoint Protection is a cloud-based endpoint security solution that leverages Machine Learning (ML) to prevent, detect, and respond to threats.
The software can predict and stop multi-vector attacks in real-time.
Webroot uses a server-client communication model.
The server, which is SaaS-based, runs a single integrated management console that gives full visibility and control over every single endpoint with the installed agent.
The software can automatically protect endpoints against malware, ransomware, phishing, and more, without the need for signatures.
All the protection occurs in real-time and from the cloud. The software also offers protection for offline devices.
- Contextual threat intelligence.
- RMM, PSA & BI integrations.
- Infrared dynamic risk prevention.
- Intelligent firewall.
- User identity and privacy.
Price: Webroot Business Endpoint Protection offers a one-year protection for five seats for $150.
Download: Sign up for a free unlimited trial of Webroot Business Endpoint Protection for 30 days.
CylancePROTECT is an advanced AI-driven endpoint security solution. It leverages AI and ML to predict, prevent, detect, and protect from all sorts of threats.
The software can analyze and categorize multiple characteristics of each file at the atomic level and distinguish from good or bad.
The software does not use signatures. Instead is combines AI mechanisms to block unknown malware from infecting endpoints.
It also uses additional security controls to protect from advanced attacks like malicious scripts, ransomware, fileless, memory, and weaponized documents.
CylancePROTECT can even reduce the risk of attacks exploiting a zero-day using the same AI model.
- Apps and scripts control.
- Device policy enforcement.
- Root-cause analysis.
- Automatic threat detection and response.
Price: Request a quote.
Download: No free trial available, but you can request a demo
11. ESET Endpoint Protection Standard
The ESET Endpoint Protection Standard is a security management and anti-malware software used for endpoint and file server security.
The software runs on-premises but also uses advanced cloud-based scanning and device control applications.
ESET Endpoint Protection Standard comes with a powerful anti-phishing engine that protects users from entering sensitive information such as passwords, users, banking information, or more, to fake websites, masquerading as valid ones.
- Firewall and web control.
- Automated security management.
- Real-time visibility for online or offline endpoints.
- Full disk encryption add-on.
Price: Request a quote.
Download: Request to download a 30-days free trial of ESET Endpoint Protection Standard.
It provides full visibility and proactive security to computers and mobiles through a variety of security controls such as antivirus, firewall, web filtering, app and device control, and more.
When FortiClient detects a vulnerability, it deploys the necessary patching or immediately quarantines the risk.
The software also uses policy-based automation to control outbreaks and contain threats.
It integrates all of its agents with the Fortinet Security Fabric to provide endpoint telemetry and automatic threat response.
- Pattern-based anti-malware.
- Behavior-based exploit protection.
- Web-filter and application firewall.
Price: Request a quote.
Download: To test the waters, Fortinet offers a fully-featured free version of the Enterprise Management Server (EMS), which is the central console of FortiClient. The free version lets you manage up to ten clients.
13. Palo Alto Networks Traps
Palo Alto Networks Traps is an advanced AI/ML-driven endpoint protection and response software.
It provides security from sophisticated exploits, ransomware, zero-day threats, and unknown malware attacks to laptops, desktops, and servers.
The software prevents endpoints from getting infected or attacked by malware using multiple methods.
It starts by gathering intelligence from WildFire Threat Analysis service. When Network Traps knows what’s out there, it can autonomously reprogram itself.
It can also analyze hundreds of files at an atomic level and scan without using any signatures.
- Behavior-based protection.
- It uses the WildFire Inspection and Analysis.
- Send and receive threat intelligence from Wildfire.
- Blocks exploits, file-less, ransomware, and malware.
- Full exploitation protection.
Price: Request a quote.
Download: No free trial available, but you can request a Network Traps free demo.
14. Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection
Malwarebytes Endpoint Security is an advanced cloud-managed security solution that provides threat prevention, detection, and remediation for endpoints.
It uses multiple detection techniques to protect endpoints from the entire attack chain from threats like malware, ransomware, and zero-day attacks.
According to Malwarebytes, their antivirus solution is used and installed over 500,000 clients daily, and it helps detect and remediate over three million infections daily.
That massive number gives Malwarebytes Endpoint Security enough data to collect and analyze threat intelligence.
The Malwarebytes Endpoint Security uses a single agent to communicate with the server. The solution includes asset management, web protection, exploit and ransomware remediation, and more.
- Cloud-based management platform.
- Uses Linking Engine technology to remove infections.
- Web and app behavior protection.
- Identify anomalies with machine learning.
Price: The price for cloud-based Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection starts at $699.90 per year for ten devices.
Download: Request a free download of Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection trial.
15. VMware Carbon Black Defense
Carbon Black (CB) Defense is a cloud-native endpoint security platform, recently purchased (Oct 2019) by VMware.
The software is a cloud-based console that provides full visibility and management for all the endpoints on a network.
And from the endpoint side, CB uses a single lightweight agent that gives complete protection against known and unknown threats.
The endpoint CB clients collect raw data and use the cloud-based streaming AI analytics to detect, identify, and model potential threats.
The CB Predictive Security Cloud platform is the one that provides endpoint protection against the most sophisticated and powerful threats.
- Next-gen antivirus and EDR.
- Virtual Data Center security.
- Real-time endpoint query and remediation.
- Advanced threat hunting and incident response.
- Monitoring and Alerts.
Price: Request a Quote.
Download: No free trial available, but you can request a demo.
16. VIPRE Endpoint Security Cloud
The VIPRE Endpoint Security Cloud is an advanced ML-powered threat intelligence solution that provides robust malware protection for SMBs.
VIPRE can safeguard endpoints against several threats, such as ransomware, zero-day attacks, phishing, malicious scripts, exploit kits, and mobile threats.
Instead of the traditional signature-based antivirus, the software provides real-time behavior analysis.
With this analysis, VIPRE can detect hard-to-catch zero-day attacks and prevent harm from unknown threats.
- Sophisticated ransomware prevention.
- Anti-phishing and anti-spam.
- Network packet inspection
- Browser and app exploit protection.
Price: The VIPRE Endpoint Security Cloud subscription starts at $150 per year for five seats.
Download: Sign up for a fully-featured 30-day free trial of VIPRE Endpoint Security Cloud.
Final Words & Conclusion
Endpoint protection software is not an ordinary everyday antivirus.
It goes well beyond the signature-based threat detection that traditional anti-malware provide.
The Best Endpoint Protection out there uses a mix of AI and ML models to analyze behaviors from every endpoint.
These tools can collect raw data from each client or agent and send information to the cloud for advanced threat analysis.
The server acts quickly by detecting the anomaly and by sending a remediation solution.
Some of these software and services, also have extensive databases with threat intelligence that help them as a base to find more and unknown threats.
All of the above 15 tools apply sophisticated behavior analytics to detect and respond to all sorts of threats.