We've recently upgraded all servers to Windows 2012 Server R2 and noticed that Active Directory Users and Computers is not showing in Administrative tools dialog box. So we've figured we'd show you how to install them quickly. This process will also install Active Directory Administrative Center, Active Directory Domains and Trusts, Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell, Active Directory Sites and Services and ADSI Edit.
Here's how to install Active Directory Users and Computers in Windows Server 2012 R2:
- Click with Windows Icon at the Bottom Right Corner of your Screen, and click “Server Manager” when the menu opens
- When the Server Manager Dashboard displays, click the “Add Roles and Features” link to open the Wizard
- When the Add Roles and Features Wizard appears, click “Next” through all the screens with the Default settings selected until you get to the “Features” tab, as seen below:
- Within the Features tab, Scroll down until you reach the “Remote Server Administration Tools” section and Expand that section, then Expand the “Role Administration Tools” section as well.
Then CHECK the “AD DS and AD LDS Tools” checkbox, as seen below and Click NEXT button.
- At this point, you will see a screen with a confirmation, click the INSTALL button as seen below to Finish the installation.
The installation process should take a couple minutes and then you should be able to access ADUC from within the Administrative Tools window as usual. Along with ADUC, you will have installed the following tools as well:
- Active Directory Administrative Center
- Active Directory Domains and Trusts
- Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell
- Active Directory Sites and Services
- Active Directory Users and Computers
- ADSI Edit
Hope this has helped you get back your trusted Active Directory tools for managing AD and your Windows server environment.