As the name suggests, ServiceNow provides Software-as-a-Service solutions that offer different problem-solving services, especially for the IT sector.
ServiceNow is considered one of the leading ITSM players in the market. It helps organizations to deal with customer support, solve service requests, incidents, and more.
But ServiceNow is not the only player; there are many more great ITSM, help desk, and service desk alternatives with more flexible pricing models and different features.
Here are the best ServiceNow Alternatives:
- SolarWinds Service Desk – FREE TRIAL A cloud-based ITSM asset and incident management package that is priced per technician.
- Atera – FREE TRIAL A SaaS platform that delivers asset monitoring and management and incident management tools.
- SolarWinds Web Help Desk – FREE TRIAL An on-premises help desk package in free and paid versions with a Web interface. Runs on Windows Server.
- ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus An ITSM problem, project, asset, and incident management system. Installs on Windows Server and Linux or can be taken as a SaaS package.
- Jira Service Management This package is a cloud-based system that offers ITSM Service Desk functions including a platform to manage assets and support users.
- Spiceworks Help Desk A free package that is delivered as a SaaS platform and is ad supported.
- SysAid A SaaS platform that includes asset management and a Help Desk system for technicians and a portal for user self-help and ticket raising.
- BMC Helix ITSM An asset management service with process automation features that is delivered as a SaaS package and covers both on-premises and cloud resources.
- RescueAssist This cloud-based platform from LogMeIn is a remote support system with team management functions.
- Ivanti Neurons for ITSM This SaaS platform provides a menu of modules that allow you to choose between just a Help Desk package or a full Service Desk system.
- Freshservice A strong ITIL-based ITSM system from a solid brand. Available in four plan levels and delivered from the cloud.
- Cherwell ITSM Choose different packages to decide on the level of Service Desk implementation you want from this cloud-based system.
- Kaseya VSA A cloud-based remote monitoring and management package that can be combined with other Kaseya services to assemble a full suite of supporting software.
- Zendesk A big-brand Help Desk package that is delivered from the cloud and can be expanded with a range of tools that improve customer communication channels.
In this article, we’ll review 14 of the best ServiceNow alternatives.
What is ServiceNow?
ServiceNow is a PaaS (Platform-as-a-Service) that provides the infrastructure to manage, implement, and run a suite of applications.
Their SaaS (Sofware-as-a-Service) that runs on top of the platform supports ITSM (IT Service Management) and can automate business workflows and processes.
The software was designed with ITIL-best practices to support the IT of enterprise-scale organizations.
But it can also run in businesses with smaller sizes and through different sectors.
It contains modular applications that can be different by instance or user.
ServiceNow comes with an out-of-the-box set of applications delivered to the end-user.
But it also allows IT admins to make their changes and customize the app for their needs.
The interface can be accessed through a browser or via its mobile application.
But ServiceNow is considered more than an ITSM tool.
ServiceNow also offers other systems that can run on top of the same integral platform, such as ITOM, ITBM, Security, Customer Service, HR Service Management, and more.
Some of their most popular multiple service management modules are:
- ITSM: Provides incident, change, request, problem management and more.
- ITBM: Performance analytics, application portfolio management, and more.
- ITOM: Discovery and service mapping, cloud and event management, and more.
- Software Asset Management: License, HR asset management, and more.
- Security Operations: Security incident and vulnerability response, compliance, and more.
- Customer Service Management: Agent workspace, multiple-channel, a self-service portal, and more.
- HR Service Delivery: Employee service center, document management, and more.
ServiceNow does not offer a free trial but shows you a free demo of the platform in action.
For more information on pricing and how to purchase the product, you can contact the ServiceNow sales.
Here's the Best ServiceNow Alternatives:
According to many ServiceNow users, the software's pricing policy and models are quite rigid.
Many users would like to have a more flexible licensing and a larger range of product editions.
For now, ServiceNow does not offer a free trial, so there is no way to test the product only see it in action through a live demo.
Fortunately, there are many ServiceNow alternatives, that also provide wonderful ITSM, help desk, and service desk functionalities, but with flexible licensing and free trials.
SolarWinds Service Desk is a cloud-based ITSM and help desk software.
It provides a single point of contact between the company, its employees, and customers, and it ensures that the users receive IT support on time.
The IT service management solution is based on ITIL processes that help the support agents align the IT services and improve them.
End-users can submit new ticket requests from different channels, such as email, phone calls, of the self-service portal.
- IT asset, problems, and incident management.
- Service catalog to standardize service.
- Robust knowledge-base.
- Integrates with +200 cloud applications.
FREE TRIAL AVAILABLE!
SolarWinds Service Desk comes in three editions, Team ($20.00 /month/agent), Business ($40.00 /month/agent), and Professional ($70.00 /month/agent).
Get a fully-featured 30-days free trial.
Atera is a complete package of all of the software that a managed service provider needs to operate. This includes the tools that technicians use to manage client systems and keep track of their assets. The system also includes a comprehensive Help Desk ticketing system.
The Atera system is hosted in the cloud and includes a range of dashboards. This includes a management console where the customer portal screens for the Help Desk can be set up. The customer portal is white labeled and it can contain self-help elements, such as a knowledge base and a password reset system. The user can also raise a support ticket through the portal.
The backend of the system provides ticket routing and technician consoles for task management. The team manager gets to see an overview of all tickets open for a particular client company and the performance of individual technicians.
- Automated asset discovery and documenting
- A full Help Desk support system
- A customer portal framework with knowledge base templates
- A hosted service that includes storage space for documentation
Price: There are three plans: Pro – $79 per technician per month, Growth – $119 per technician per month, and Power – $149 per technician per month. These prices are for the yearly payment plan; a monthly payment plan is available at a higher price per month.
Download: Get a free trial of Atera.
The Web Help Desk is another ITSM solution from SolarWinds.
The main difference from the SolarWinds Service Desk, which is cloud-based, is that Web Help Desk must be deployed on-premises.
Another difference is that the Web Help Desk includes CMBD and release management.
Web Help Desk is also ready with ITIL service management processes.
The software provides ticket management for the entire life-cycle, from request to resolution. Its ticketing automation capabilities can help you create tickets, assign, route, and escalate them, automatically.
The solution comes with fully customizable dashboards that give you information on tickets, clients, assets, parts, knowledge-base, FAQs, reports, messages, SLA compliance reports, and more.
- Hardware and software assets management.
- Workflow and processes automation.
- End-user self-service with robust knowledge-base.
- Integration with Active Directory and LDAP.
FREE VERSION AVAILABLE!
SolarWinds Web Help Desk offers the Freeware and Commercial versions. The commercial edition starts at $630 (which includes one technician and unlimited end-users).
Get a fully-featured 14-days free trial.
4. ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus
ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is a robust ITSM and help-desk software.
It delivers IT asset management, different points of contact, ticket management, self-service, and a knowledge-base through a single platform.
The software can run on the cloud or on-premises.
ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plue is equipped with the ITIL foundations to simplify the IT help desk tasks.
Its most popular functionalities are the incident, problem, and asset management, which allow the IT support agent to streamline the workflows.
The customers or employees can submit tickets from multiple channels, such as email, phone, or the self-serving portal.
- Workflow automation.
- IT Project Management.
- ITIL problem management and CMDB.
- Integrations with third-party software
- Comprehensive reports.
ServiceDesk Plus comes in three different editions, Standard, Professional, and Enterprise. For information, get a quote.
5. Jira Service Desk
Jira Service Desk is a fully-functional ITSM, service desk, and ticketing system.
It provides IT teams, a way to deliver end-to-end support to a company’s employees, customers, or providers.
The solution follows ITIL compliance service management to cater to all levels of incident complexities.
End-users can submit service requests through the service desk.
It comes with a self-service portal that allows them to keep track of their tickets, look through the knowledge base, and more.
The solution is empowered by AI and ML to help streamline ticket routing, L1 notifications, escalations, and more.
- Automation of monotonous tasks.
- Built-in robust knowledgebase.
- Real-time team collaboration.
- Multi-channel ticketing platform.
- Integrations of +550 apps from the Atlassian Marketplace.
FREE VERSION AVAILABLE!
The Jira Service Desk is offered at a decent and flexible pricing model. It comes in three different editions, Free (for 3 agents), Standard ($20t/month/agent for 5000 agents) and Premium ($40/month/agent for 5000 agents).
6. Spiceworks Help Desk
Spiceworks Help Desk is a 100% free SaaS-based IT help desk.
The software uses the ticket management system to help IT admins keep track of user requests. They can accept tickets, reply, send messages, and resolve all the IT incidents and tasks from a single place.
The solution also allows the end-users to help themselves with a customizable self-service portal.
Here, users can submit tickets, track their progress, and browser through the knowledge-base and FAQ.
You can also install the fully-featured Spiceworks Help Desk on your premises. All you need is to have a supported hypervisor such as VMWare or Virtualbox, and you can have full control of the Help Desk.
- Help Desk team management and collaboration.
- Mobile app.
- Active Directory integration.
- Generate ticket reports.
- Automated workflows.
100% free including support, all features, and upgrades.
SysAid is an all-in-one a SaaS-based help desk, service desk, ITSM solution, with additional tools for analyzing and improving IT performance.
It is based on ITIL-aligned best practices. The SysAid software is generally targeted for enterprise-scale business but also works great for smaller organizations.
The application comes through different modules that allow you to scale up or down as needed.
Modules such as IT asset management, the incident and service request management modules, advanced monitoring, ITIL CMDB, and more, allow you higher flexibility.
- End-user self-service portal.
- Mobile device management.
- Advanced workflow and automation.
- Robust documentation and knowledge-base.
- Built-in or customizable reports.
SysAid comes in three different editions, Basic (Help desk, ticketing, and asset management), Full (ITSM), and A-La-Carte (every feature is priced separately). Get a quote.
30-days SysAid HelpDesk free trial.
8. BMC Helix ITSM
BMC Helix is an end-to-end SaaS ITSM solution. It is often referred to as the 3 C’s (Cloud, Container, and Cognitive).
BMC Helix can deliver all their services through the cloud. With containers, users can run the software in any public cloud.
And finally, the software is embedded with cognitive automation capabilities like chatbots, virtual agents, and AI/ML.
With the help of its automation features, BMC Helix can perform proactive and predictive tasks.
The cognitive virtual agents and chatbots can help process and solve level one tickets, while the IT admins work on level two.
End-users can also interact directly with the self-serving system, and submit their tickets via email, mobile app, phone calls, and social media.
- Self-Service and Service Catalog.
- Change and configuration management.
- Incident and problem management.
- Asset management and agentless discovery.
- Multi-cloud and multi-device management
For more information on pricing, contact BMC sales.
Sign up to start a 30-day free BMC Helix trial.
The software can help resolve IT issues with the help of remote assistant technology such as screen sharing, full remote control, audio/video conference, and more.
RescueAssist uses a plugin for remote connection.
IT admins use this plugin to connect to the remote computers with a generated connection code or URL link given by the end-users.
Then the IT admins can use the RescueAssist server to keep track of all incidents, prioritize tickets, generate notifications, and more.
- Live remote support.
- Chat, screen-sharing, and diagnostic tools.
- File transferring.
- Manage unattended computers.
RescueAssist pricing plans are yearly or monthly. It begins at $55/agent/month to pay on an annual basis or $69/agent/month for a monthly basis.
Sign up for a free seven days trial of RescueAssist.
10. Ivanti Service Manager
Ivanti Service Manager is a cloud-optimized ITSM and a help desk solution.
It is fully compliant with ITIL best practices and processes and runs on enterprise-grade organizations. The software can also run on your premises.
Its service request ticketing system is optimized for solving IT incidents and problems.
It provides a multi-channel approach, where end-users can submit tickets via email, web, social media, chat, phone, a self-service portal, or even in-person. The solution also provides automation of workflows and repetitive tasks.
- Incident and problem management.
- Drag and drop IT service automation.
- Self-service and knowledgebase.
- Voice automation.
Not listed. Request a price quote.
Freshservice is a cloud-based ITSM service desk with a robust ticketing system.
It runs with ITIL-ready core functionalities, to help improve the assets, incident, configuration, and change management of the IT in any organization.
The most important module of Freshservice is its incident management.
This module lets support agents manage the entire lifecycle of incidents, from creating, assigning, working, and resolving.
The tickets can be created through different channels, such as email, chat, phone, or the self-service portal.
- Asset management and auto-discovery.
- CMDB (Configuration Management DataBase).
- Incident and problem management.
- Integrated knowledgebase
- Third-party integrations such as Jira, Google Apps, Dropbox, and more.
- Workflow automation.
Freshservice is available in four different editions, Blossom ($29 /agent/month), Garden ($58 /agent/month), Estate($87 /agent/month), and Forest ($85 /agent/month).
Sign up for a free 21-day trial of Freshservice.
12. Cherwell ITSM
Cherwell ITSM is a flexible IT Service Management platform that allows you to streamline and automate service desk workflows.
The software complies with many ITIL process that helps IT managers improve the entire IT environment in an organization. It can be deployed through the cloud or an on-premises environment.
The incident and request management solution consolidates all service requests into the platform.
End-users can submit requests, report issues, and monitor the status, and on the same page, the IT support agents can handle tickets, solve incidents, and fulfill requests.
The tool also offers other components such as change and configuration management and IT asset management.
- IT Self-Service Portal.
- Dashboard and Reporting.
- Knowledge-centered support.
- Automation capabilities.
- Real-time dashboards and reports.
No free trial available, but you can get a demo.
13. Kaseya VSA
Kaseya VSA is a unified cloud-based RMM (Remote Monitoring and Management) solution.
It is designed for IT management, remote monitoring, and network security for large-scale enterprises or MSPs. The solution also provides strong automation capabilities.
With Kaseya VSA, IT admins can manage almost all IT assets remotely.
They can also deploy automation policies and processes and save time doing repetitive tasks.
For example, activities such as software deployment, updates, and resolve issues, can be fully automated.
- Centralize management.
- Security and monitoring capabilities.
- Audit and Inventory.
- Unified backup and recovery.
- Compliance management.
Kaseya VSA’s price is based on the number of endpoints. For more information on pricing, request a quote.
Download a fully-functional 14-days Kaseya VSA free trial.
Zendesk is one of the leading help desk and customer support solutions. It offers an efficient and easy-to-use cloud-based software that provides support and information for end-users.
Its ticketing system helps the customer support team manage requests and problems.
The Zendesk suite offers multiple customer service and engagement products, such as the Zendesk Support, which is a system for tracking, prioritizing, and solving support tickets.
Tickets can be submitted via email, phone, messenger, or chat.
Zendesk is popular because it provides a very flexible pricing model. You can purchase the software for one agent, get a bundle of tools, or buy separate tools like the Guide, Chat, Talk, and more.
- Automated workflows.
- Mobile app.
- +100 third-party app integrations.
- Advanced reporting and analytics.
Zendesk Support is offered thorugh various pricing plans, starting from Essential ($5 per agent/month), Support ($19 per agent/month), Professional ($49 per agent/month), Enterprise($99 per agent/month), and Elite($199 per agent/month).
Sign in to start a free trial of cloud-based ZenDesk for a limited time.
Conclusion & Final Words
ServiceNow is an excellent tool for managing all the IT services within a company. It is based on ITIL processes that help with the incident, problem, asset, configuration, change, and release management.
The software handles most of the ITIL process pretty well, for any size of organization.
But since it was designed for large enterprises, the pricing can be costly for small to medium businesses. According to many existing users, the pricing model can get quite rigid.
If you are looking for more flexibility in terms of features and cost, the ServiceNow alternatives showed above can help you run an excellent service desk with more flexibility in terms of licensing.
Almost all of these tools showed here, charge their products differently and almost all provide free trials and even freeware.