The age long debate of which networking monitoring and management software is better never ceases to amaze us, especially in the comparison of PRTG vs NAGIOS – We're going to break down the main differences between the two software packages, along with some of their feature sets, capabilities and pricing models.
Some Features we'll be discussing and comparing between the two are as follows:
- Network Infrastructure Monitoring
- Scalability and Trend Forecasting
- Email, SMS and other Alerts/Triggers
- Plugins and Add-ons
- SNMP and Agentless Monitoring
- Time of Implementation
- Web Accessible GUI
- Network Maps and Topology Visuals
- Bandwidth and Flow (Netflow, sFlow, IPFix, etc) Analyzer and Collection
- Hardware Monitoring (Servers, Printers, Routers/Switches, Desktops, etc)
- Wifi (including Linksys brand) Management & Monitoring
- VMware & Hyper-V Monitoring Capabilities
- VoIP Monitoring Capabilities
- Cloud Service Uptime Monitors
- Temperature, Humidity, Physical Access to Server Room/Closet
- Active Directory/LDAP Integration
- Automatic Network Discovery and Scanning
- SLA Reporting Functionality/Features
The list above is not fully comprehensive of what both software solutions are capable of, but are merely a standard that many admins and engineers look for when evaluating software packages before committing to one of the other.
Here's a Comparison & Breakdown of PRTG vs Nagios:
|Monitor Network Uptime & Critical|
|Forecast Trends and Expandability||Yes||Yes|
|Add-on/Plugins (3rd Party, etc)||Yes||Yes|
(Required for Network Maps,
and Wifi Monitoring)
|Network Topology Maps/Visuals||Yes||No|
|Hardware Health Status||Yes||Yes|
|Wireless Network Monitoring||Yes||No|
|VoIP and QoS Support/Monitors||Yes||No|
|Cloud Service Support/Monitors||Yes||Yes|
|Server Room Environmental|
|Active Directory/LDAP Integration||Yes||Yes|
|Auto Network Scan/Discovery||Yes||Yes|
|IP SLA Support/Reporting||Yes||Yes|
|Cost||Free Edition up to 100 Sensors (Unlimited Time)|
More Pricing for Additional Sensor Found on their PRICE LIST
|Core is Free|
Nagios XI is $1995 up to 100 Nodes.
Full Pricing List Here
|Download PRTG Free!||Go to Nagios.com|
It's no surprise that many admins and IT professionals are constantly comparing these software packages, they both have very similar traits and features that many engineers and admins want in their monitoring and management arsenal. Nonetheless, if your looking for an All-in-One solution and would like to not have to deal with configuration files within a Linux/Unix system, then PRTG is the way to go.
The battle of PRTG vs Nagios can go on and on, but for if you are looking for an Enterprise Grade solution that has the backing of a support team and fully-featured out-of-the-box solution, then we'd have to recommend PRTG in this case.
On the other hand, if you want to get your hands dirty and do some manual configuration, installation, and editing of config files, give Nagios a try. We've linked their plugin repositories above under each given section for the feature that is compared.