Monitoring SQL Server for Performance, Up-time and other crucial stats is one of the most important tasks you can do in order to keep your database server software running smoothly and efficiently. We've compiled a list of the top SQL server performance monitoring tools and software as well as some pricing information as well.
Monitoring and fine tuning a SQL install is a task that all DB Administrators and Engineers need to get under their belt as it will really prove to be beneficial to not only your server hardware, but your end user experience as well.
Some of the main issues that arise when dealing with slow SQL servers include some of the following:
- Database Size – As the database size grows, the SQL server will need more memory and CPU to read data from the tables, and when the size of each table increases, it slows down the DB operations. Monitoring Database size is
- Query Structure – Finding the most expensive queries on the SQL DB will be crucial to the servers performance. Once you've identified queries that are taking up the most resources, you can address them to reduce load on server cycles and memory usage before your DB comes to a halt. Finding out which application is causing these expensive queries on your database will help you diagnose the issues behind these queries and remedy them quickly and efficiently. Monitoring these queries will help you identify which host application is causing these issues and potentially help you diagnose these other applications that could be on the verge of crashing as well.
- Index Fragmentation – SQL indexes the database to make searching the DB faster and more efficient. Proper indexing helps you search the DB faster and more efficiently, but when data is modified, deleted or removed, the indexed content gets scattered and the DB becomes fragmented and will result in database degradation.
- Performance – Memory, Cache and paging should be monitored in real-time to ensure your SQL Server software is performing at its optimal rate and not facing bottlenecks.
Our Top Picks for Database Monitoring and Optimization
We've put together a list of tools and software that will assist you in monitoring your production SQL database server and all you to get insights into its performance, hardware and other important factors that need to be monitored.
Below is a list of SQL Server Performance Tuning and Monitoring Tools and Software:
- Solarwinds DB Performance Analyzer
- Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager
- Lepide SQL Server Auditing
- Heroix Longitude®
- SQL Power Tools
- Red-Gate SQL Monitor
- Sentry One (SQL Sentry)
1. Solarwinds Database Performance Analyzer for SQL Server
Solarwinds DPA monitors and analyzes your SQL database instances to solve bottlenecks. It uses a Response Time Analysis method to focus on the time between a query requests and the response from the database and analyzes wait types and events to pinpoint the bottlenecks of your db.
Solarwinds DPA has an easy to use interface that will assist you in finding issues quickly and easily within the first screen, as seen below:
View DB Instances, Wait Times, Query Advice, CPU (Critical/Warning alerts), Memory Alerts, Disk and Sessions.
The Trend dashboard of a certain database instance will show you the Total Wait times (or your choice of either Average or Typical Day wait times) for the users over the course of a months time split up by days. Each color of the graph represents an individual sql statement, which will give you a representation of which SQL statement takes the longest to run.
You can then click on the day you want to analyze for more information about the query that took longer to execute.
With this information, you click on the “more…” link to give you advice about the query, wait events, number of executions and who's running the query, as well as specific times it has run. You can view historical data for your sql queries by day along with wait times and executions, where you can pinpoint when there are less executions with higher wait times. DPA helps you find issues within SQL quickly with easy to read graphs and specific times of the day/month.
You can also view I/O wait times by which File is being utilized and drill down even further into a specific hour of any given day down to the MINUTE, as seen below:
Some Features of this software include the following:
- Database Tuning Advice to enhance Performance
DPA gives you advice for tuning individual DB instances to ensure its running at its peak performance by analyzing all parameters of an instance and recommending a course of action to optimize certain queries or database instances for peak performance.
- Active monitoring of all Active sessions to the Second
Highly Detailed native Polling Engine records exactly everything thats happening within your database instances with no additional load to the database themselves.
- Tracks, Monitors and analyzes databases components to pinpoint root problems of performance issues
Automatically Correlates queries, users, files, plans, objects,wait times, storage and date/time/hour/minute to accurately discovery and diagnose problems on the fly.
- Single point of Monitoring for all your Database instances and types of DB's
Supported Database software includes: Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, DB2, and ASE, either physical in-house, Virtual Machines (Vmware/Hyper-V) and in the Cloud db's.
- Agentless and Highly Scalable
Monitor as many Database instances as you want – from 1 to 1000 instances. Its highly scalable and Agentless.
- Integrates easily with Solarwinds Orion® Platform
Use Solarwinds SAM (Server and Application Monitor) to view database information including Nodes and Applications.
We're just skimming the top with this quick review of Solarwinds DPA and we'd recommend you download a Free 30 Day Trial Copy and test further in your environment. We Highly recommend this product as its specifically designed to granularly monitor, analyze and help you dial in your DB queries and trim those execution times way down.
Official Site and Download: http://www.solarwinds.com/database-performance-analyzer-sql-server
2. Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager
Idera Diagnostic manager provides performance monitoring for SQL databases in both physical and virtual environments, with the ability to see performance statistics, metrics and alerts from Virtual machines and their accompanying host hardware. This includes CPU, Memory, Hard Disk Usage and Space, Network usage and more. Idera also provides provactive monitoring of queries along with transactional sql monitoring and provides you with recommendations for your SQL db.
With an easy to use Web-based interface and mobile app (that can be used with Androids, iPhones, tablets and Blackberry), seeing real-time and historical data about your SQL server instances will allow you to make changes on the fly within the mobile app. Administrative tasks you can do while mobile include View/Kill Processes, Start and Stop Jobs as needed and Run queries to resolve issues.
Other features of this software include easy integration with SCOM using the Management Pack add-on, predictive Alerting system to avoid any False Positive Alerts and a great Query performance monitoring function that identifies queries that are not efficient and performing poorly.
Official Site and Download: https://www.idera.com/productssolutions/sqlserver/sqldiagnosticmanager
3. Lepide SQL Server Auditing
Lepide Auditor suite has a SQL server auditing portion to it that servers as a performance, uptime and activity monitor for your SQL instances. They provide great reporting into your SQL servers that show your most active users and databases, changes to objects, tables and logins. You have the ability to build your own reports based on a number of different parameters and thresholds as you wish.
Lepide offers a trend analyzer feature that helps DB Administrators that helps you pinpoint what changes are being made to the database and by who. This helps you see and track any potential security risks that could arise from wrong permissions or administrator errors/issues. On top of the trend analyzer, they also offer a feature called Sql Server HealthCheck that continuously tracks the vital components of a SQl server and provides real-time tracking for things such as Network connections, CPU Usage and Load, Errors and much more.
Additional Features include:
- Mobile App for viewing a Live Feed of whats happening on an instance that works will any Android or Apple devices
- In Depth reporting features and 50+ Pre-Defined reports for Compliance and System Management
- Ease-to-Use Dashboard that you can Quickly spot Trends, Changes to Databases and real Time alerting for events that occur
Official Site and Download: https://www.lepide.com/lepideauditor/sql-server-auditing.html
4. Heroix Longitude®
Heroix offers a monitoring solution that is touted as “Agentless” out-of-the-box and can monitor SQL Server 7/2000/2005/2008/2012, Oracle 9/10g/11g and MySQL 4.1 and 5.0. Heroix Longitude monitors your databases provactively for crucial performance metrics that will ensure they're running at the highest rates possible and will alert you if there are issues or bottlenecks that need to be addressed. Pre-configured reports and graphs help you identify issues before or as they arrive to keep your instances highly available.
Official Site and Download: http://www.heroix.com/solutions_database.html
5. SQL Power Tools
SQL Power Tools (sqlpowertools.com) is another “Agentless” database monitoring solution that gives you the ability to drill down into 120+ different metrics of your server. They are very big on being extremely lightweight with almost no overhead for monitoring – less than 1%, according to their website.
Features of this software include the following:
- Wait types
- SQL wait times
- I/O wait times
- Blocking and Deadlocks
- Disk bottlenecks & Temp Database bottlenecks
- SQL performance and Plan Mining
- Top N SQL
- Performance Counters
- Disk mirroring
- Availability groups
- Procedure and Buffer Cache
- Database Size and Disk Drive Space
- Low Disk Space and High Disk Space Usage
- Index fragmentation
- SQL Agent jobs
- Performance Baselines
Official Site and Download: http://www.sqlpower.com/
6. Red-Gate SQL Monitor
Red-Gate provides an array of tools that helps your manage, monitor, change, manipulate and optimize sql based databases. We'll be covering the SQL Monitor portion of their offerings as some of the others don't really apply to this article. Red-gate provides a great dashboard to view all of your database instances in one web-based interface that gives you control and access wherever you are at. You have the ability to access all your SQL databases within seconds without having to VPN into your network or anything like that. This easy-to-use dashboard will help you drill down further into statistics about your instances including Wait times, CPU usage and Disk I/O within 2 clicks.
Red-gate also comes with 40 pre-configured, fully customizable alerts that can be quickly adapted to your setup and instances and give you the flexibility you need for alerting and monitoring of critical performance and operational metrics. You have the option to setup alerts either on a Server-level, Instance-level or Database-level if you wish, quickly and easily without having to go through a whole process of manually configuring alerting options.
Pre-configured alerts and thresholds include:
- High CPU or Memory Resource Usage
- Disk Space Running Low (Transaction logs or Database Disk)
- Performance Issues of Queries
- SQL Errors and Issues, including Deadlock and Blocking
- Hanging Backups in Sql Server
- Skewed Values for Databases, Instance or Object-Level properties
- Issues with Availability Groups
More Info can be found at their Official Site and 14 Day Trial Download: http://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sql-monitor/
7. Sentry One (SQL Sentry)
Sentry One, provides a Real-time dashboard of all your the critical SQL components and services that are neatly presented in a way that will help you manage and ensure high-availability of your SQl instances. SQL Sentory also gives you the option to view historical data of your server to compare to actual real-time stats that will further assist you in baselining and optimizing your database instances and servers.
Dashboard includes some of the following metrics for quick analysis and viewing in real-time or historical, depending on which mode you choose:
- Network Percentage Usage (Inbound/Outbound)
- Cpu/Processor Usage
- SQL server activity (including Batches, Transactions, Compiles and Recompiles, Key lookups and Forwarded Recs)
- SQL Server Network waits, CPU waits, Memory Waits and Disk waits
- System Memory Usage for File Cache and Balloning, along with Faults for Read/Write
Sentry offers a wide variety of features as well as many of the other offerings listed above, including highest or most expensive queries on the DB, Block chain Analysis, Deadlock Analysis, Vmware and Hyper-V Support (including Memory and CPU usage of Hosts/Hypervisors), Event Calendar for viewing and managing SQL server processes, Web/Mobile Accessability, Extensive Reporting and Alerts and much more.
Additional Features Sentry SQL include:
- Index Analysis (for Defragmentation, Fill Factor Adjustments, Automatic Maintenance)
- AlwaysOn Monitoring
- Sql Server Blocking and Deadlocks
- Job Chaining features
- SSIS Logging and Support
- Performance Reporting (Global to Individual Counters)
More Info can be found at their Official Site and 15 Day Free Trial Download: https://www.sentryone.com/platform/sql-server-performance-monitoring
There are also plenty of Microsoft based monitoring tools that are native to Windows, but they are not nearly as encompassing as the tools mentioned above, but will still get the job done. If you are interested in a Microsoft based tool/s, we recommend you check out some of the articles from MSSqlTips.com, including this one about Perfmon for Sql Server, this one about using Server Side trace for Performance Monitoring and this article about using Sql Server DB engine Tuning Advisor for Performance monitoring. This article will discuss some individual tools that will assist you in monitoring and performance optimizing your SQL instances, but none will be nearly as thorough as the software packages and suites mentioned above.
For an all encompassing solution, grab one of the software packages or suites from above to ensure your have the best SQL Monitoring tool for your environment. Ensuring that your database is running at peak performance and is highly available is not worth skimping out on when looking for a monitoring solution. We've seen it in our own environment and recommend everyone employs one immediately.