Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM) is a type of software targeted to MSPs (Managed Service Providers) or any large network with many endpoints. It helps remote managers, proactively monitor endpoints, servers, computers, and other network devices.
As the name suggests, RMM is designed to “mitigate or reduce” many of the traditional tasks performed by a field technician. It introduces functions like automation, remote access, inventorying, batch patching, and more.
Here is our list of the best RMM Software for 2021:
- Atera RMM – FREE TRIAL An all-in-one RMM solution including automation, remote access, remote monitoring, ticketing system, third-party integrations, and more. Atera’s pricing is per technician per month.
- NinjaRMM – FREE TRIAL An easy-to-use RMM with excellent customer support. It includes remote monitoring, endpoint management automation, scripting, and more.
- SolarWinds RMM – FREE TRIAL One of the most comprehensive cloud-based RMM tools; it comes with a robust dashboard, including discovery, reporting, alerting, mapping, threat detection, and more.
- SolarWinds N-Central Formerly known as N-able, SolarWinds N-Central includes remote monitoring, automation, endpoint detection, and more.
- Paessler PRTG An all-in-one network monitoring platform with management, automation, and troubleshooting capabilities.
- ConnectWise Automate An RMM platform with a strong focus on automation; It can auto-discover, auto-patch systems, and run +400 scripts for auto-healing.
- Kaseya VSA An integrated management platform for MSPs that includes remote monitoring, endpoint control, patch management, AV and AM, automation, backup, and more.
What to look for in RMM Software?
Some RMM packages might be more or less suitable for a specific size of MSP. There are some RMM that can smoothly scale to a large number of seats, while others have their limits. Additionally, the learning curve and implementation time might vary. Some RMM might need more time from network managers, to learn, fine-tune, and maintain.
Below are the features that distinguish RMM software. The most comprehensive RMM tools and software in the market check all those boxes:
- Automation and scripting capabilities.
- Device discovery, setup, and client on-boarding.
- Software patching and installation.
- Remote access and control capabilities.
- Reporting and alerting.
- Inventory and auditing.
- Integration with third-party software.
- Customer Support
- Reliability and stability.
The 7 Best RMM Software and Tools
In this post, we’ll go through the best seven RMM software and tools that all MSP’s IT managers seem to love. All of the tools below have most of the characteristics listed above. Some have them in a single pane of glass, while some others might require additional integration.
Atera is an IT management company based in Tel Aviv, Israel. They develop Atera’s RMM software, which is an all-in-one solution, combining the traditional RMM with Professional Services Automation (PSA), remote access, billing, and reporting into a single platform. Atera is one of the most comprehensive RRM tools on the market.
- PSA: A toolset containing billing, helpdesk, accounting, customer rations, and the popular ticketing system.
- IT Automation: Atera comes with pre-configured administrative and maintenance tasks.
- Monitoring and alerts. Customizable notifications and alerts. Receive alerts in real-time, when a predefined threshold is reached.
- Auto-discovery: Atera can be configured to automatically scan the network at different intervals, discover new (or removed) elements, and update the inventory accordingly.
- Remote access: Access and manage all endpoints from a central location. Atera encrypts remote access using 256-bit AES encryption keys.
Atera also comes with advanced patch management, remote maintenance, integrated Splashtop remote support, asset and inventory tracking, reporting and analytics, activity logs, SNMP monitoring, and more.
Pricing Model: Atera’s RMM is based on subscription plans charged per month and per technician. Also, as your network expands, it is very easy to scale the accounts. Atera’s RMM price starts at $79.00/month/tech (billed annually) for its Pro license.
Download: Atera offers a 30-day free trial of the Growth license:
NinjaRMM is an IT management company based in Silicon Valley and born back in 2013. They developed NinjaRMM which is a cloud-native all-in-one RMM solution. It includes network monitoring, remote controls, automation, background management, patch management, and reporting.
NinjaRMM’s monitoring agent can be installed on Windows and Mac computers and provides endpoint data including, processing, memory, utilization, network, logs, etc. Additionally, NinjaRMM’s automation capabilities allow managers to check the entire infrastructure, install patches, etc.
- Configurable alert triggers.
- Supports 120+ applications.
- Integration with Teamviewer.
- Webroot deployment management.
- Advanced remote access.
Pricing Model: NinjaRMM is based on flexible pay-per-device pricing. The price is not officially listed, but you can get a quote.
Download: Sign up for a free trial.
SolarWinds is a leader in network, systems, and IT management monitoring software. They have been on the RMM game for a long time since they built the SolarWindsMSP unit. SolarWinds developed the cloud-based SolarWinds RMM solution for MSPs and added a couple of state-of-the-art features such as NetPath, one solution to monitor Mac and Windows, endpoint detection and response, and more.
Network managers using SolarWindsRMM can start right out-of-the-box. With the monitoring templates and the auto-discovery process to find endpoints and start creating an inventory. The software also comes with remote access capabilities, to allow secure endpoint access and management.
One of SolarWinds RMM highlights: Their single pane of glass for asset tracking, remote control, patching, automation scripts, etc.
- Endpoint threat detection and response.
- NetPath feature allows you to see network performance on a map.
- Patch management
- Managed antivirus and Web protection
- Data-breach risk intelligence
Pricing Model: The price is not officially listed, you need to get a quote.
Download: Sign up to get a free trial for 30 days.
4. SolarWinds N-Central
SolarWinds acquired N-able, developer of the already established N-central back in 2013. A few years later, they also acquired LOGICnow for its cloud and analytics capabilities. Both acquisitions, along with SolarWind's solid remote monitoring portfolio, formed the SolarWinds MSP Unit. The acquisition strategy strengthened the N-central RMM tool.
SolarWinds took an already popular RMM tool and turned it into a Ferrari. The SolarWinds N-central is a lightweight yet powerful RMM solution. It has extensive automation capabilities and is capable of onboarding massive numbers of clients, can patch them, etc. The software is available on-premises or via the cloud.
- Automation to onboard, configure, and patch clients.
- Remote control
- Advanced security solutions.
- AV integration.
- Robust remote support to resolve issues faster.
- Proactive alerts and self-healing capabilities.
- Reporting, and more.
Pricing Model: To know the price of N-central, get a quote.
Download link: Sign up to get a free trial for 30 days.
5. Paessler PRTG Network Monitor
The PRTG Network Monitor is developed by Paessler, a German IT monitoring software developer. PRTG is an all-in-one tool for monitoring, controlling, managing, and troubleshooting networks of all sizes. The tool is not explicitly designed for MSPs but is more a one-size-fits-all solution. It can monitor resources from the cloud, on-premises, virtual, networks (LANs, WANs, WLANs), applications, traffic, databases, firewalls, IoT devices, services, and more.
To handle all that, PRTG uses sensor technology. A PRTG sensor measures a single value from the network or device; whether it is traffic on a single port, HD utilization, the CPU load, logs, and more. These sensors can be customized and deployed multiple times in a single device.
- Agentless monitoring technology. As long as a device is reachable and enabled with SNMP, WMI, or Netflow, there is no need to install agents on endpoints.
- Auto-discovery. Automatic ping, and discovery via SNMP, WMI, or other protocols. It also automatically creates a set of monitoring sensors
- Single and central platform. No need for additional third-party plugins. Everything is included in the central dashboard.
- Maps and dashboards: Display network data and status in real-time.
- Automation: ScriptRunner to automate IT infrastructure.
Pricing Model: PRTG’s price is based on the number of sensors. For the PRTG100 (100 sensors), the license is 100% free. For PRTG500 with a perpetual license, the price is $1600. There are more types of licenses and flexibility and pricing. For more information request a quote.
6. ConnectWise Automate
ConnectWise develops IT management software tailored for Technology Solution Providers (TSP). Along with their strong product portfolio, they include ConnectWise Automate which is an RMM platform with a strong focus on automation. ConnectWise Automate RMM can proactively monitor and manage endpoints in large-scale networks. The software can auto-discover assets, schedule patch deployment, and even automatically find and fix issues with a predefined set of actions.
Once installed, the software can discover the networked elements, detect their status, and create access to all those managed devices. With the help of its integrated Endpoint Management tool— all those devices can be accessed and managed instantly.
One of ConnectWise Automate key highlights: Automation. Automatic patch management, asset automatic discovery, and +400 scripts for self-healing and other tasks. Plus, the software also comes with more than 500 out-of-the-box monitors.
- Asset Discovery
- Patch Management
- Remote Monitoring.
Pricing Model: To know the price of ConnectWise Automate, you have to request a quote.
Download: Sign up to ConnectWise Automate to download a free 7-days trial.
7. Kaseya VSA
Kaseya VSA is another popular RMM software in the MSP market. It is a unified cloud-based RMM solution with a strong emphasis on automation and security. Kaseya VSA can be configured to deploy software automatically, run patches/updates, and even resolve issues. You can also manage vulnerabilities, set control access with 2FA, manage backup & disaster recovery, AV & anti-malware, and more— all from a single dashboard.
With Kaseya VSA, IT managers can remotely discover, access, and control a wide variety of clients in the network. Managers can set automatic scans to discover the network and create an inventory of all endpoints with instant remote access.
- Live Connect: A remote control module to push bulk updates and manage endpoints.
- Automated monitoring: built-in alerts, service auditing, and smart response.
- AssetIQ: A contextual documentation management system. Unusual in RMM tools.
- Integrations: AV, unified backup and recovery, and other software.
Pricing Model: Kaseya VSA is priced, based on the number of endpoints. To know more about its pricing, request a quote.
Download Link: Sign up to download a fully-functional 14-day free trial of Kaseya VSA.
Choosing RMM Software
An MSP does the heavy lifting of controlling and managing many aspects of a customer’s IT network. But who does the heavy lifting for an MSP?
Managing and monitoring a remote network with hundreds to thousands of clients can be quite challenging. So, RMM tools were designed to solve most of the challenges that MSP IT managers face.
The RMM software and tools shown in this post will give you the ultimate level of visibility and control. All tools are worth giving a try and fortunately, most of them offer a free trial.