Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM) is a type of software targeted to MSPs (Managed Service Providers) or any large network with many endpoints. It helps remote managers, proactively monitor endpoints, servers, computers, and other network devices.
As the name suggests, RMM is designed to “mitigate or reduce” many of the traditional tasks performed by a field technician. It introduces functions like automation, remote access, inventorying, batch patching, and more.
Here is our list of the best RMM Software
- Atera RMM – FREE TRIAL An all-in-one RMM solution including automation, remote access, remote monitoring, ticketing system, third-party integrations, and more. Atera’s pricing is per technician per month.
- NinjaOne – FREE TRIAL An easy-to-use RMM with excellent customer support. It includes remote monitoring, endpoint management automation, scripting, and more.
- SuperOps RMM – FREE TRIAL A cloud-based system that offers a full suite of RMM tools as well as a PSA module. Ideal for an MSP, an independent support technician, or an IT department.
- N-able RMM – FREE TRIAL One of the most comprehensive cloud-based RMM tools; it comes with a robust dashboard, including discovery, reporting, alerting, mapping, threat detection, and more.
- Barracuda RMM – FREE TRIAL A cloud-based platform for MSPs that focuses on client system security and can be enhanced with Help Desk and network monitoring add-ons.
- Syxsense Manage – FREE TRIAL A SaaS platform that can monitor and manage endpoints on multiple sites and includes automated maintenance processes.
- Domotz – FREE TRIAL This cloud-axed network monitoring package also offers endpoint management features and has a multi-tenant architecture for MSPs.
- ManageEngine RMM Central – FREE TRIAL A package of automated monitoring and management tools for networks and endpoints. Available for installation on Windows Server or as a service on AWS and Azure.
- N-able N-central Includes remote monitoring, automation, endpoint detection, and more.
- Paessler PRTG An all-in-one network monitoring platform with management, automation, and troubleshooting capabilities.
- ConnectWise Automate An RMM platform with a strong focus on automation; It can auto-discover, auto-patch systems, and run +400 scripts for auto-healing.
- Kaseya VSA An integrated management platform for MSPs that includes remote monitoring, endpoint control, patch management, AV and AM, automation, backup, and more.
What to look for in RMM Software?
Some RMM packages might be more or less suitable for a specific size of MSP. There are some RMM that can smoothly scale to a large number of seats, while others have their limits. Additionally, the learning curve and implementation time might vary. Some RMM might need more time from network managers, to learn, fine-tune, and maintain.
Below are the features that distinguish RMM software. The most comprehensive RMM tools and software in the market check all those boxes:
- Automation and scripting capabilities.
- Device discovery, setup, and client on-boarding.
- Software patching and installation.
- Remote access and control capabilities.
- Reporting and alerting.
- Inventory and auditing.
- Integration with third-party software.
- Customer Support
- Reliability and stability.
The best RMM Software and Tools
In this post, we’ll go through the best seven RMM software and tools that all MSP’s IT managers seem to love. All of the tools below have most of the characteristics listed above. Some have them in a single pane of glass, while some others might require additional integration.
Atera is an IT management company based in Tel Aviv, Israel. They develop Atera’s RMM software, which is an all-in-one solution, combining the traditional RMM with Professional Services Automation (PSA), remote access, billing, and reporting into a single platform. Atera is one of the most comprehensive RRM tools on the market.
- PSA: A toolset containing billing, helpdesk, accounting, customer rations, and the popular ticketing system.
- IT Automation: Atera comes with pre-configured administrative and maintenance tasks.
- Monitoring and alerts. Customizable notifications and alerts. Receive alerts in real-time, when a predefined threshold is reached.
- Auto-discovery: Atera can be configured to automatically scan the network at different intervals, discover new (or removed) elements, and update the inventory accordingly.
- Remote access: Access and manage all endpoints from a central location. Atera encrypts remote access using 256-bit AES encryption keys.
Atera also comes with advanced patch management, remote maintenance, integrated Splashtop remote support, asset and inventory tracking, reporting and analytics, activity logs, SNMP monitoring, and more.
Pricing Model: Atera’s RMM is based on subscription plans charged per month and per technician. Also, as your network expands, it is very easy to scale the accounts. Atera’s RMM price starts at $79.00/month/tech (billed annually) for its Pro license.
Download: Atera offers a free trial of the Growth license:
NinjaOne is an IT management company based in Silicon Valley and born back in 2013. They developed NinjaRMM (now NinjaOne) which is a cloud-native all-in-one RMM solution. It includes network monitoring, remote controls, automation, background management, patch management, and reporting.
NinjaOne’s monitoring agent can be installed on Windows and Mac computers and provides endpoint data including, processing, memory, utilization, network, logs, etc. Additionally, NinjaOne’s automation capabilities allow managers to check the entire infrastructure, install patches, etc.
- Configurable alert triggers.
- Supports 120+ applications.
- Integration with Teamviewer.
- Webroot deployment management.
- Advanced remote access.
Pricing Model: NinjaOne is based on flexible pay-per-device pricing. The price is not officially listed, but you can get a quote.
Download: Sign up for a free trial.
SuperOps is a SaaS platform that includes an RMM system and a PSA service. SuperOps RMM offers four modules: Asset Management, Policy Management, Alert Management, and Patch Management. Together with the Service Desk module in the PSA package, these units will enable technicians to operate a full remote monitoring and management service for client systems.
The package doesn’t include a remote access or a remote desktop tool, but those can be added on from choices offered in the SuperOps Marketplace. Those tools integrate into the RMM services.
The Asset Management module scours the client system and documents it, compiling hardware and software inventories. The software inventory informs the Patch Management unit, which automates updates to installed operating systems and software packages.
One of SuperOps RMM highlights: This system comes with off-the-shelf task automation services but these can also be modified or added to with a built-in scripting language.
- Endpoint management for Windows devices
- Automated monitoring processes
- Alerts for evolving problems
- Automated patch management
- An option to add on Bit defender for endpoint security
- Associated PSA functions
There are four plans:
- Solo – PSA + RMM for single, independent technicians: Free for the first year
- Starter – PSA only: $89 per technician per month
- Growth – PSA and RMM for small MSPs: $109 per technician per month
- Premium – PSA and RMM plus a Project Management module: $129 per technician per month
Download: There is no download needed to access this online system. Sign up for a 21-day free trial to try it out.
N-able is a leader in network, systems, and IT management monitoring software. They have been on the RMM game for a long time since they built the N-able unit. SolarWinds developed the cloud-based N-able RMM solution for MSPs and added a couple of state-of-the-art features such as NetPath, one solution to monitor Mac and Windows, endpoint detection and response, and more.
Network managers using N-able can start right out-of-the-box. With the monitoring templates and the auto-discovery process to find endpoints and start creating an inventory. The software also comes with remote access capabilities, to allow secure endpoint access and management.
One of N-able RMM highlights: Their single pane of glass for asset tracking, remote control, patching, automation scripts, etc.
- Endpoint threat detection and response.
- NetPath feature allows you to see network performance on a map.
- Patch management
- Managed antivirus and Web protection
- Data-breach risk intelligence
Pricing Model: The price is not officially listed, you need to get a quote.
Download: Sign up to get a free trial for 30 days.
Barracuda RMM is a SaaS platform that offers tools for MSP technicians that enable them to monitor the security of client systems. The package includes a Service Plan template that enables the MSP to offer options to potential customers. The selected plan can then be activated within the platform to ensure that the services rendered to that client stay within the requirements of the SLA.
As a security-focused package, this system is centered around a vulnerability manager. This is linked to a patch manager, which is able to seek out patches and apply them automatically. There are also a number of task automation systems within the platform. The RMM also includes remote access tools for technicians.
- A vulnerability manager that performs scheduled and on-demand scans
- A software manager
- Remote access tools
- SLA tracking
- Options for network management and Help Desk
- Optional AV add-on
- System status alerts
- Patch management
Pricing Model: To find out the price of Barracuda RMM, get a quote.
Download link: Sign up to get a 14-day free trial.
Syxsense Manage is a system monitoring and management package that is able to identify and monitor endpoints connected to whichever site you install an agent program. The Syxsense service is a SaaS platform, so it doesn’t matter where in the world that site is located. You access the console for the system from anywhere through any standard browser. It is also possible to enroll several sites and consolidate the monitoring and management tasks for them
The Manage service includes a device discovery tool, a software inventory scan, and automated patch management. Endpoints monitored by this system can be running Windows, macOS, or Linux.
- A package that tracks the performance of endpoints
- The opportunity to manage multiple networks in one account
- A constant device detection service
- A software inventory management system
- Automated maintenance routines
- An automated patch manager
- Security auditing features
Pricing model: A yearly subscription for a minimum of 10 devices.
Download link: Access a 14-day free trial.
Domotz is a SaaS platform that implements network monitoring and endpoint management system. The tool installs an agent on each network that is to be monitored and it can include the supervision of several sites in one account. It is also possible to set up sub-accounts for client systems, so this is a great option for managed service providers. The network infrastructure management tools and integrations make this an RMM.
The network monitor has an autodiscovery function, which creates a constantly updated IT asset inventory. Domotz also includes a switch port mapper and draws up a network map from the Layer 2 and Layer 3 device information that the agent gathers.
- Automated network discovery and mapping
- Alerts for performance problems
- Live network performance reporting
- Capacity planning tools
- Unlimited user accounts for technicians
- Backup management
- Patch management
Pricing model: The Domotz system is a subscription service, priced at $21 per network per month, regardless of the number of nodes on the network. There is also a custom plan available.
Download link: Try out Domotz with a 14-day free trial.
ManageEngine RMM Central gives you an MSP support system that you can manage yourself. You can install this package on your in-house server if it runs Windows Server or chose to activate the software as a service from the marketplaces of AWS and Azure.
- Continuous network scans for device discovery and performance monitoring
- Hardware and software inventories
- Automated patch manager
- Network topology mapper
- Wireless network and virtualization monitoring
- USB device control
- Mobile device management
- Onboarding and software rollout automation
- Remote access functions
- Alerts for performance problems on networks and endpoints
When you enroll a new client, the system scans the network, discovers all devices connected to it, and creates a hardware inventory. This inventory is the basis for a network topology map. The discovery process repeats continuously as part of the RMM’s system monitoring routines and it will spot any changes to the network. These alterations are instantly noted by adjustments in the hardware inventory.
The service also scans each endpoint to create a software inventory. This supports the automated patch management system within the RMM Central bundle.
Pricing Model: Free for up to 20 endpoints and 5 network devices; Enterprise edition: get a quote.
Download link: Manage Engine delivers RMM Central Enterprise edition on a 30-day free trial so click here to access the offer.
9. N-able N-central
SolarWinds acquired N-able, developer of the already established N-central back in 2013. A few years later, they also acquired LOGICnow for its cloud and analytics capabilities. Both acquisitions, along with SolarWinds solid remote monitoring portfolio, formed the N-able N-central Unit. The acquisition strategy strengthened the N-central tool.
N-able took an already popular RMM tool and turned it into a Ferrari. N-able N-central is a lightweight yet powerful RMM solution. It has extensive automation capabilities and is capable of onboarding massive numbers of clients, can patch them, etc. The software is available on-premises or via the cloud.
- Automation to onboard, configure, and patch clients.
- Remote control
- Advanced security solutions.
- AV integration.
- Robust remote support to resolve issues faster.
- Proactive alerts and self-healing capabilities.
- Reporting, and more.
Pricing Model: To know the price of N-central, get a quote.
Download link: Sign up to get a free trial for 30 days.
10. Paessler PRTG Network Monitor
The PRTG Network Monitor is developed by Paessler, a German IT monitoring software developer. PRTG is an all-in-one tool for monitoring, controlling, managing, and troubleshooting networks of all sizes. The tool is not explicitly designed for MSPs but is more a one-size-fits-all solution. It can monitor resources from the cloud, on-premises, virtual, networks (LANs, WANs, WLANs), applications, traffic, databases, firewalls, IoT devices, services, and more.
To handle all that, PRTG uses sensor technology. A PRTG sensor measures a single value from the network or device; whether it is traffic on a single port, HD utilization, the CPU load, logs, and more. These sensors can be customized and deployed multiple times in a single device.
- Agentless monitoring technology. As long as a device is reachable and enabled with SNMP, WMI, or Netflow, there is no need to install agents on endpoints.
- Auto-discovery. Automatic ping, and discovery via SNMP, WMI, or other protocols. It also automatically creates a set of monitoring sensors
- Single and central platform. No need for additional third-party plugins. Everything is included in the central dashboard.
- Maps and dashboards: Display network data and status in real-time.
- Automation: ScriptRunner to automate IT infrastructure.
Pricing Model: PRTG’s price is based on the number of sensors. For the PRTG100 (100 sensors), the license is 100% free. For PRTG500 with a perpetual license, the price is $1600. There are more types of licenses and flexibility and pricing. For more information request a quote.
11. ConnectWise Automate
ConnectWise develops IT management software tailored for Technology Solution Providers (TSP). Along with their strong product portfolio, they include ConnectWise Automate which is an RMM platform with a strong focus on automation. ConnectWise Automate RMM can proactively monitor and manage endpoints in large-scale networks. The software can auto-discover assets, schedule patch deployment, and even automatically find and fix issues with a predefined set of actions.
Once installed, the software can discover the networked elements, detect their status, and create access to all those managed devices. With the help of its integrated Endpoint Management tool— all those devices can be accessed and managed instantly.
One of ConnectWise Automate key highlights: Automation. Automatic patch management, asset automatic discovery, and +400 scripts for self-healing and other tasks. Plus, the software also comes with more than 500 out-of-the-box monitors.
- Asset Discovery
- Patch Management
- Remote Monitoring.
Pricing Model: To know the price of ConnectWise Automate, you have to request a quote.
Download: Sign up to ConnectWise Automate to download a free 7-days trial.
12. Kaseya VSA
Kaseya VSA is another popular RMM software in the MSP market. It is a unified cloud-based RMM solution with a strong emphasis on automation and security. Kaseya VSA can be configured to deploy software automatically, run patches/updates, and even resolve issues. You can also manage vulnerabilities, set control access with 2FA, manage backup & disaster recovery, AV & anti-malware, and more— all from a single dashboard.
With Kaseya VSA, IT managers can remotely discover, access, and control a wide variety of clients in the network. Managers can set automatic scans to discover the network and create an inventory of all endpoints with instant remote access.
- Live Connect: A remote control module to push bulk updates and manage endpoints.
- Automated monitoring: built-in alerts, service auditing, and smart response.
- AssetIQ: A contextual documentation management system. Unusual in RMM tools.
- Integrations: AV, unified backup and recovery, and other software.
Pricing Model: Kaseya VSA is priced, based on the number of endpoints. To know more about its pricing, request a quote.
Download Link: Sign up to download a fully-functional 14-day free trial of Kaseya VSA.
Choosing RMM Software
An MSP does the heavy lifting of controlling and managing many aspects of a customer’s IT network. But who does the heavy lifting for an MSP?
Managing and monitoring a remote network with hundreds to thousands of clients can be quite challenging. So, RMM tools were designed to solve most of the challenges that MSP IT managers face.
The RMM software and tools shown in this post will give you the ultimate level of visibility and control. All tools are worth giving a try and fortunately, most of them offer a free trial.