Businesses rely on IT for almost all aspects of their daily operations and functions.
From wireless access points, workstations, mobiles, printers, to software and middle-ware.
Maintaining control of a complex and dynamic IT environment can be quite overwhelming, and requires a particular set of skills and tools.
The right IT asset management ITAM software can help automate tedious processes, keep track of every asset through detailed inventories, and even deal with non-IT resources like licenses, warranties, and even contracts.
Here is our list of the best IT asset management tools:
- SolarWinds Service Desk – FREE TRIAL A complete Service Desk package from Help Desk system through to support team management facilities. Installs on Windows Server.
- ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus – FREE TRIAL Built to ITIL guidelines, this package covers all aspects of ITAM, including system audits. Available as a cloud service or for installation on Windows Server or Linux.
- SecPod SanerNow Asset Management – FREE TRIAL A cloud platform that provides secure software and system management tools, such as its asset management module.
- ManageEngine AssetExplorer Documents and tracks hardware and software and tracks service life for all assets. Installs on Windows Server.
- Spiceworks IT Asset Management Part of Spiceworks Inventory, this free asset tracking tool is available as a cloud service or for on-premises installation on Windows and Windows Server.
- LanSweeper This tool scans, identifies, documents, and tracks hardware and software assets. Installs on Windows and Windows Server.
- Kaseya VSA Tailored to managed service providers, this package of monitoring tools traces all assets and logs them. This is a cloud-based service.
- SysAid ITSM, Service Desk, and Help Desk systems built to ITIL guidelines and offered as a cloud service.
- Network Inventory Advisor A Windows-based system that tracks down, documents, and monitors IT assets.
- OpenAudIT by OpMantek A assert discovery and tracking system that includes configuration management functions. Available for Windows Server and Linux.
Why is Asset Management Software Important?
IT Asset Management (ITAM) is a set of technologies and methodologies that help support IT asset life-cycle management and smart decision-making within an IT environment.
Some of these methodologies include scanning, inventorying, license management, reporting, and more.
The ITAM software is usually designed around the idea of helping manage assets throughout all their life-cycle phases:
IT Asset Management has always been performed through lists and spreadsheets, but this becomes a near-impossible task in today's complex IT environments.
ITAM software helps the IT manager automate all of these processes, so the manager can focus on improving, maximizing every resource, and reducing risks.
The software can also help maximize business expenses by identifying underutilized resources and optimizing their usage.
The solution can also prevent downtime by keeping track of licenses and their End-Of-Life (EOL).
Some ITAM solutions also come with automation capabilities. They can automate scans, processes, and tasks, updates, and more.
The Best Asset Management Software & Tools of 2021:
SolarWinds Service Desk, formerly known as Samanage Service Platform, is a popular web-based ITSM and service desk for managing IT assets and employee services.
The single and unified service desk solution provides a way to manage and communicate with employees in an organization through its ticketing system or self-service portal.
The software also comes with powerful IT asset management (ITAM) capabilities.
With SolarWinds Service Desk, you can see and manage all your assets at different stages of their lifecycle from a single place.
Knowing about the life of your resources can help you avoid downtime due to EOL (End-of-Life) licenses and plan for capacity.
You can also use SolarWinds Service Desk to correlate licenses to ensure you get what you buy, and even manage warranties.
You can improve your service desk or asset management solution by integrating the software with over +200 cloud applications such as NMAP, Dropbox, Azure, Jira, Okta, Slack, and more.
Key ITAM Features:
- IT asset lifecycle management
- Asset Consolidation
- License monitoring
- Mange warranties
Price: FREE Trial available!
Download: Get a fully functional 30-day free trial of SolarWinds Service Desk and start managing all your assets.
ServiceDesk Plus gives you the option to purchase the Asset Management portion of the software that gives you the capabilities to manage, track and scan for new assets in your environment.
Features of this program include the following:
- Scan Networks for Hardware and Software
- Scan VM's as well!
- Build and Manage inventory for IT and Non-IT assets
- Manage Software and Hardware relationships
- Software Compliance
- and much more!
- Start a 30-day free trial
SecPod SanerNow Asset Management is a cloud-based cyber-hygiene platform that offers system management tools and security protection for endpoints. The Asset Manager module is the central repository of gathered system information and it is constantly updated.
The SecPod SanerNow Asset Management offers real-time sweeps of all your network to monitor all of its endpoints for complete visibility. This service is a vulnerability scanner that draws from a database of over 130,000 patches and firmware updates. As a basis of its actions, the scanner logs all of the endpoints that it discovers on the network and passes that information to the Asset Manager.
The Vulnerability Manager is able to scan devices running Windows, macOS, and Linux. After checking on the physical properties of each device, it examines the operating system, noting versions, and settings. All of these pieces of information get written to the Asset Inventory. The scanner then goes on to check on all of the software packages installed on each device and the results of that examination go to the Asset Manager for the creation of a Software Inventory.
The vulnerability scan frequency can be set by the administrator with a 5-minute cycle possible. Each pass updates the asset and software inventories.
- Automatically created and constantly updated
- Manages an asset inventor and a software inventory
- Records software license usage
- Documents a system for constant availability monitoring
- Highlights poor setup that creates system vulnerabilities
- Supports data privacy standards compliance
- Blacklist and Whitelist applications
Price: The SecPod SanerNow Asset Management package is charged for by subscription. However, SecPod doesn’t publish is price list. For more information on pricing, request a quote.
Download: Get a fully functional 30-day free trial of SanerNow to fully assess the platform.
4. ManageEngine AssetExplorer (Top Rated)
ManageEngine AssetExplorer is a web-based ITAM software that monitors and manages assets in an IT environment.
It is considered one of the best for enterprise networks.
It lets you manage the entire life cycle for a large number of assets, from procurement, deploy/discover, maintain, support, to retirement.
AssetExplorer comes with robust discovery mechanisms that find IT assets and create a detailed inventory from the results.
The tool allows you to manage software, hardware, and licenses, within the inventory, all from a single interface.
You can also manage non-IT assets and other components, such as track POs (Purchase Orders), contracts, and costs.
With the AssetExplorer, you can find areas in the organization where you can optimize expenditures, by enforcing policies or eliminating unnecessary assets.
- Manage and monitor the entire IT asset life-cycle
- Discover assets in the network
- Manage and monitor software/hardware
- Ensure software license compliance
- Configuration management
- Purchase order management
Price: FREE version available.
AssetExplorer is available in three different editions:
- Free version
- Free 30 Day Fully Functional Trial
For more information on pricing, request a quote.
Download: Get a fully functional 30-day free trial of ManageEngine AssetExplorer with all features.
5. Spiceworks IT Asset Management (Best Free)
Spiceworks IT Asset Management is a free ITAM software that allows you to scan, discover, and create inventories of your IT environment.
You can also obtain information from your resources and services deployed in the cloud.
The functionality of the tool can be extended through integrations.
You can integrate other Spiceworks tools such as the Help Desk, Network Monitoring, Connectivity Dashboard, and more.
Spiceworks starts by running automatic scans and collecting detailed information.
It then creates an inventory of all your network devices, including routers, switches, VoIP phones, workstations, etc.
From this inventory, you can manage your network, including software licensing.
Finally, you can create custom reports that show all the information collected by Spiceworks, from help desk tickets, the complete IT asset inventory, to network metrics.
- Inventory Hardware
- Track and update software
- Keep track of software and volume licenses
- Generate detailed reports
Price: Free (supported by ads).
Download: Create an account to download the free ITAM Spiceworks software here.
6. LanSweeper (Best for Discovery)
Lansweeper is a centralized IT asset management and network inventory software.
It can automatically scan, discover network assets, and create detailed inventories.
The software comes with an agentless discovery engine called Lansweeper Deepscan, that can find almost any IT asset in your network.
It consolidates all information and creates an inventory with hardware, software, and users.
Lansweeper can scan the software for various platforms like Linux, Windows, and macOS.
It creates a software inventory, including license information.
It also builds a complete hardware inventory with components, like CPU, Memory, etc.
Lansweeper also helps you create reports.
You can choose from +400 templates of network reports and customize them to your needs.
- Powerful agent-less network discovery
- Hardware, software, and users inventory
- License audits
- Customized reports
Price: Lansweeper comes in two different versions:
- Free (Up to 100 assets)
- Enterprise ($1.00 per asset/year)
Download: Get a free fully-featured trial of Lansweeper Enterprise for 30 days.
7. Kaseya VSA (Best for MSPs)
Kaseya VSA is a cloud-based RMM (Remote Monitoring and Management) solution designed to be scalable.
The software is suitable for large networks like MSPs or enterprises.
It provides centralized management, security services, and monitoring capabilities for all your IT assets.
Kaseya VSA is popular for its automatic patching and update deployments.
The tool can update Windows, macOS, and 3rd party software.
Aside from updates, you can also manage network endpoints and its infrastructure with policy-based automation.
You can automatically deploy patches or even resolve network issues.
Once installed, Kaseya VSA can automatically discover your entire network and create a comprehensive inventory.
You can keep track of every single system, including their hardware and software.
- Hardware and software discovery
- Policy-based automation
- Custom reports and dashboards
- Network Monitoring
Price: The price is based on the number of endpoints, for more information, request a quote.
Download: Get a fully-functional 14-day free trial of Kaseya VSA here.
8. SysAid (Best in Support)
SysAid is an all-in-one cloud-based IT service management (ITSM) and help desk solution.
It also includes a service desk and an integrated ITAM.
SysAid is known for its amazing customer service and support.
The solution starts with the powerful ITSM, where you can build all the other modules on top.
It integrates tools like Help Desk and Asset Management into the central platform.
With the ITAM solution, you can view, secure, and manage all your IT assets from a single place.
SysAid discovers all your IT assets and keeps track of them.
It gathers data from the network and creates a detailed inventory with hardware and software information.
You can view the software on each asset like OS and view hardware component details, like CPU, HDD, RAM, etc.
The software can also keep track of all changes made to the assets in the inventory. All changes are automatically saved as activity logs.
- Problem and change management
- Advanced workflow and automation
- Asset discovery, tracking, and inventory
- Track CIs with CMDB
- Patch and update management
- Remote control
- License management
Price: SysAid is offered in three different editions:
- Basic – Help Desk, Ticketing, and Asset Management
- Full – ITSM Software
- A-La-Carte – features priced separately
- For more information on pricing, get a quote.
Download: Get a 30-days ITSM free trial.
9. Network Inventory Advisor (Best in Inventory)
Network Inventory Advisor is a network management software that runs on Windows.
It can automatically scan and collect all critical data from devices running different OSs like Windows, Linux, macOS, or any SNMP-enabled device.
The tool shows detailed hardware and software statistics.
The Network Inventory Advisor is popular for its software inventorying and license tracking.
You can monitor installations, software versions, services, and licenses on all computers.
You can also track non-IT assets, like keyboards or sound devices, and add them to the inventory.
With this tool, you can also keep track of each hardware asset and its components such as CPU, memory, HDD, etc.
When you run the scan, the tool will collect detailed information from all your equipment and display it in the inventory.
- Automatic scans
- Software and hardware inventory
- License compliance audit
- Network management
Price: The standard license of Network Inventory Advisor for 100 nodes starts at $289.00.
Download: A fully-featured free Network Inventory Advisor is available for 15 days and you can manage up to 25 nodes.
10. OpenAudIT by OpMantek (Best in Open-Source Community)
OpenAudIT is a network discovery, audit, and inventory tool that runs on Windows and Linux systems.
The software can be configured to send automatic scans to the computers on a network and obtain information such as its hardware, software, settings, services, users, and more.
It can also get information from network devices, such as routers and switches.
OpenAudIT can also be configured to generate automatic reports.
When you set scheduled tasks, the tool will send the results of the task to your email.
The output of the automatic scans containing all inventory information can also be exported through PDF, CSV, or HTML-generated webpages.
- Network device discovery
- Hardware and software inventory
- Automatic report generation
- Configuration and change tracking
- Software license management
Price: The software comes in three different editions:
- Community – Free and open-source
- Professional – starts at $1,449 per year
- Enterprise – starts at $1,199 per year
Download: You can get a Free 20-node license for any of the OpenAudIT commercial modules here.
Managing IT assets is one of the most important tasks of any IT admin, or probably the only one.
But old-fashioned ITs that keep track of assets through lists, spreadsheets and old routines can hit the wall when it comes to complex IT environments.
Managing IT assets this way can be nearly impossible.
The appropriate IT Asset Management ITAM software can help keep an inventory of the software, hardware, users, automate processes like scanning and patching, and create reports that help IT managers learn more about their IT environment.
The ITAM is directly connected to the IT infrastructure.
It can keep track of all assets through their lifecycle, from planning, deploying, upgrading, to decommissioning.
The Eight Best Asset Management Software for Keeping track of all Computers, Servers, Devices in your Company can help those old-fashioned IT admins get rid of the spreadsheet.